Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2021, 11:42 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,351,010 times

Advertisements

Several years back, I was driving on the Expressway in Suffolk. Just past Ronkonkoma I saw Suffolk County PD had a car pulled over. Another five miles out, I saw a Suffolk County Sheriff car - and that car had another car pulled over.

Who patrols the Expressway - Suffolk County Police or Sheriff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 07:35 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,241,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Several years back, I was driving on the Expressway in Suffolk. Just past Ronkonkoma I saw Suffolk County PD had a car pulled over. Another five miles out, I saw a Suffolk County Sheriff car - and that car had another car pulled over.

Who patrols the Expressway - Suffolk County Police or Sheriff?
it's now patrolled by the Suffolk County Police. In the days of Steve Levy , it was patrolled by the Sheriffs Department. I won't get into the reasons it changed.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:55 PM

63 posts, read 39,762 times
For a while it was both as far as i know - but there was quite a few Sheriffs patrols at one time
They made the agreement due to budget issues or something
Actually i am not sure if Suffolk Sheriffs are still patrolling or is it only Suffolk PD Highway patrol now

Nassau Sheriffs dont really do patrols - they mostly handle property/social services laws and whatnot

Old 04-07-2021, 08:38 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,349,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEDLI495 View Post
For a while it was both as far as i know - but there was quite a few Sheriffs patrols at one time
They made the agreement due to budget issues or something
Actually i am not sure if Suffolk Sheriffs are still patrolling or is it only Suffolk PD Highway patrol now

Nassau Sheriffs dont really do patrols - they mostly handle property/social services laws and whatnot

Since the Steve Levy years, I haven't seen the Sheriffs patrol the LIE, but have seen a handful of people pulled over by a Sheriff's car. Only thing I can think of is that person did something right in view of the Sheriff and got pulled over for it. I do not see them sitting in the middle or the shoulder waiting for lawbreakers.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:02 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,241,633 times
When driving out of state, I usually see the state police patrolling interstate highways (which the LIE became years ago) , not local cops.
Interesting that the local police do that here and in NYC.
Never saw a county cop on the NY Thruway north of Harriman either.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:06 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,351,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
When driving out of state, I usually see the state police patrolling interstate highways (which the LIE became years ago) , not local cops.
Interesting that the local police do that here and in NYC.
Never saw a county cop on the NY Thruway north of Harriman either.
Thruway is patrolled exclusively by the New York State Troopers, as are the Long Island parkways. LIE belongs to the County boys (Nassau and Suffolk). Some years ago I saw Suffolk Sheriff's cars sitting on the Expressway; I guess working in tandem with Suffolk Police.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:33 PM

615 posts, read 449,717 times
Bring back the Long Island State Parkway Police!

Old 05-15-2021, 09:06 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,765,973 times
I have an LIE question as well....

Where can I fwd my 1000+ $ bill for the damage done by a crater in the HOV lane?

The potholes are outrageous.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:46 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,765,973 times
There was a pothole thread here . Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island