Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times

Advertisements

This is a stupid question, trust me I know. But what actually is long island?
It’s not a city... it’s not a state... it’s not a borough...

Often times I’ll want to talk about LI to people of different countries but won’t want to say the name and I find myself wondering what to call it. I mean know it’s an island, but saying “my island is....” “on the island...” feels odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 09:35 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmln View Post

Often times I’ll want to talk about LI to people of different countries but won’t want to say the name and I find myself wondering what to call it. I mean know it’s an island, but saying “my island is....” “on the island...” feels odd.

It's a region of the State of New York. Just like the Adirondack Mountains region or the Catskill Mountains region or the Finger Lakes region. Or the "Downstate New York CMSA or Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area" (which consists of the 5 boroughs or counties of New York City + Long Island + the northern half of New Jersey + 4 or 5 New York State counties north of New York City + a good portion of southeastern Connecticut).

In summary: Long Island is a region of New York State (politically/legally consisting of 2 counties: Nassau and Suffolk Counties) . . . yet topographically (geophysically), the counties or boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn are also considered a part of Long Island proper but not politically/legally so).

Last edited by UsAll; 04-17-2021 at 10:32 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 10:12 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy”

Old 04-18-2021, 07:10 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
And to further muddy up your mind. Did you know that in the 80's there was a Supreme Court case that ruled it was really not an island, but rather a peninsula? US v Maine, is the case and it was a unanimous decision. Essentially it had more to do with maritime law than an actual "definition of an island". I vividly recall that case.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:37 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

it's no different than any other area. There's a Hudson River region, an Adirondack region, Southern Tier, Capitol region, Finger Lakes....none of them are their own cities, states or boroughs either.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default what actually is long island?

Quote:

In the geographical sense, Long Island is an actual island off the eastern coast of North America. Long Island also includes its offshoots such as Fire Island, Jones Island, Shelter Island etc. Four New York state counties make up geographical Long Island - Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Nassau and Suffolk.

But today in a regional sense, Long Island includes just the 13 towns and 2 cities of Nassau and Suffolk counties. This is because Brooklyn and Queens unfortunately decided to join with NYC back in 1898 and gave up their independence.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:28 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
In the geographical sense, Long Island is an actual island off the eastern coast of North America. Long Island also includes its offshoots such as Fire Island, Jones Island, Shelter Island etc. Four New York state counties make up geographical Long Island - Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Nassau and Suffolk.

But today in a regional sense, Long Island includes just the 13 towns and 2 cities of Nassau and Suffolk counties. This is because Brooklyn and Queens unfortunately decided to join with NYC back in 1898 and gave up their independence.
You nailed it. Regionally LI is Nassau and Suffolk that’s it. All the rest is NYC.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:31 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
It's true. We're not an island. Now I know how Pluto felt when it was demoted.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:23 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy”
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
And to further muddy up your mind. Did you know that in the 80's there was a Supreme Court case that ruled it was really not an island, but rather a peninsula? US v Maine, is the case and it was a unanimous decision. Essentially it had more to do with maritime law than an actual "definition of an island". I vividly recall that case.
You know you've got the makings of a Sea Shanty here don't you? Might start off something like this...

"There once was a ship called the Scum and Villainy
And it sailed to an Island, but was it one really?"

Old 04-19-2021, 07:47 AM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It's true. We're not an island. Now I know how Pluto felt when it was demoted.
But when they flew by Pluto, Pluto showed everyone that it had a heart!

Also the state of New Mexico's government has decreed that when Pluto is in its skies then Pluto is a planet. So there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island