Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,547,609 times

Advertisements

Most recently, I took my dogs for a nice walk in the Massapequa preserve trail.
Dogs are only suppose to be on the dirt trail, but I see people walking their dogs on the paved bike path.

I've also taken my dogs to Belmont Lake state park and Sands Point Preserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,066,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Glad to hear things have changed.

So they are now enforcing the leash rule on trails? A few years back, the park manager would walk the trails and actively encourage off-leash dogs. I was there a few months ago and saw some unleashed dogs down by the water. I also didn't see any park personnel around and figured the unwritten rules hadn't changed.
As mentioned, Gardiners has added fenced dog runs and obstacle/gym/steeplechase features for both large and small dogs (separate areas for both), but still plenty of off leash dogs on the trails. I don't own a dog and no longer go to Gardiners due to lax leash enforcement, despite signs literally everywhere. Most of my walking/hiking friends and acquaintances have stopped going there as well.

Also, Gardiners gets swampy and muddy, some of the trails to the east are hardly ever dry. Dog waste and urine is actually the bigger problem over no leashes, in the hot weather the stagnant baking water that can often contain droppings and urine is, needless to say, unpleasant. Not to mention dogs coming out of one of these trails and/or a swim in the bay, running up to you and "shaking off"...

Heckscher State Park has a dog trail starting at Field 5 (boat launch field) that runs up to the disc golf course parking lot. Dog owners have taken the liberty to extend this to include most of the trails on the west side of the park, a fair amount unleashed, unfortunately. Some people play the disc golf course with their dog(s). At least half the time they are unleashed.

Residents of Country Village on the west side of the park and Timber Point on the northeast side bring their dogs into the park along the adjoining borders to their neighborhoods. Again many unleashed.

For legit dog owners, I sincerely hope the scofflaw's don't wind up getting the Field 5 trail shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island