Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 07:28 PM

84 posts, read 46,648 times

Advertisements

Long island is not a good place to retire with the high property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 PM

297 posts, read 133,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analeo View Post
Here are answers to questions/clarifications:

-Northport may not be a retirement town per se, but it has what I am looking for in terms of "my" retirement town, mainly; a picturesque outdoors to walk and read by the water/park or a cafe. I enjoyed the art/vintage galleries/stores and the possibility of a house that has a vacation/retreat feel

- If driving is a must in LI, then I agree that it is not for me. However, Northport fits most of my criteria and I thought it would be wise for me to find two other towns to compare before committing to finding a house in Northport. And, indeed, a few of the recommendations in this forum have sparked my interest.

- Regarding the size of the house, a single family house is fine. My main concern is a large lot so I can entertain and use my yard/outdoors for my recreational/art activities. The RE tax cannot exceed $20K/yr

- So far, from the recommendations, I am considering Babylon Village, Rockville Centre and Garden City
- Regarding the Northport distance to the train station, I would consider a taxi to LIRR if all other criteria is met.

Thank you, again, for your feedback.
Rockville has a couple large parks/lakes/trails close by and is even close enough to Long beach(taxi or LIRR). They have a large selection of good restaurants. And when you tire of them, there is always Lynbrook or Oceanside to try.

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Rockville-.../home/20447754

Anyways, this house is a good example that popped up today, you'd be close enough to parks, but 20 min walk to train, restaurants, supermarket. It is also nicely done with a narrow but deep lot.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Rockville has a couple large parks/lakes/trails close by and is even close enough to Long beach(taxi or LIRR). They have a large selection of good restaurants. And when you tire of them, there is always Lynbrook or Oceanside to try.

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Rockville-.../home/20447754

Anyways, this house is a good example that popped up today, you'd be close enough to parks, but 20 min walk to train, restaurants, supermarket. It is also nicely done with a narrow but deep lot.
Wow and what an adorable house!

Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 PM

I also think Huntington Village may fit the bill

Old 04-29-2021, 10:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Huntington Village has all - except walkability to the LIRR

Old 04-30-2021, 03:40 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Does it really have this? ...am looking for in terms of "my" retirement town, mainly; a picturesque outdoors to walk and read by the water/park or a cafe.

I only up say this because visitors are often surprised how ugly the village itself is.

Maybe Babylon? (Although Northport is prettier.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-30-2021 at 03:53 AM..

Old 04-30-2021, 08:26 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Quote:
Wow and what an adorable house!
I thought so as well. And, the inside is just wonderful . It's perfect !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-30-2021, 09:19 AM

63 posts, read 70,534 times
I could see Northport as a retirement town for certain people but again, a car is a must. Once or twice over the years, I have heard about people moving to LI to retire. The village itself is pretty small and has stores for most things you might need on a daily basis except for food. There isn’t even a deli there now. The two large supermarkets in town are probably close enough to walk to (from the village) in theory, but this would not be an easy task and might even be impossible, given the lack/unreliability of sidewalks. In winter, snow covers what sidewalks there are, so there is no place to walk at all. On top of that, groceries are heavy and not easy to carry for the distance you would have to walk. I don’t want to gloss over your statement that you can’t drive, but could this be reconsidered for extremely limited purposes? Like maybe driving to the supermarket only, say early in the morning on weekends when traffic is light? You’d only be driving for a couple of local miles a week, and things like parking wouldn’t be an issue because the lots are wide open at those hours - you could park far away from others. This way, you could avoid the congested secondary roads and highways entirely. I’m suggesting this only because I can’t see how you could manage the grocery issue, unless you depended on frequent taxi service, which probably wouldn’t be consistently reliable.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:55 AM

Personally if I didn't need to commute to the city, I'd retire somewhere quaint on the east end.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:01 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Would be great but would need to Uber to train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island