Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 PM

17 posts, read 13,772 times

Advertisements

Hello neighbors, first time house owner, bought a bank owned house, some experience to share with you and also need help and advices too. Thank you.
First time house buyer, the meter was locked by gas company and they asked us to have a gas pressure test affidavit letter to open the gas, so we hired a company to do the pressure test, after they came they said the gas pipes is not upto code, so they changed all pipes in the house, from the meter outside to all pipes to range and heater and boiler. Before they perform the job, they said after all job finished the town will come for inspection the second week, the plumber will be here too. But after job finished, they said no inspection needed and just gave us a affidavit letter for passing pressure test. We listened to them and just arranged gas company to come open the gas for us, but when gas company came, they said we need to have town to came and issue another proof of passing pressure test since the gas pipes from the meter box was replaced. So we called the plumbing company said we do need town inspection, hen they told us they will charge us another 1400 for they to be there for town inspection and sent us a new invoice states that apply town inspection for no permit works. And denied they agreed to apply for town inspection. Im very confused, we hired them(licensed plumber) to do everything based on town code, how we end up with a “non permitted work" that need to pay an extra 1400 to apply for town inspection?
This 1400 is not including any charges from the town, it is only for using his license to apply and for him to be there meet with the town inspector.
Now, our biggest concern is what if town come and say we need to do some changes in order to pass inspection, do we need to pay additional to the plumber for that? Or as a licensed plumber he suppose to fix his work to upto code without additional charge? We have paid him a lot for the work and afaid we will pay him endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 05:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I can tell you a few things. This is part of the process of buying a "bank owned" home, there often are many things that need to be updated and many surprises. You don't say what town, but the TNH, does the final inspection and they may or may not pass based on their criteria for CoC. IF they find something deficient, then yes in order to get the CoC, it will cost you more.

I am guessing that the $1400 is not for plumbing work but for the permits necessary to have the plumber/gas company come in and do the work. You should have applied for the permits and gotten them first. I could be wrong, but, the next surprise you might be in for, unless the plumber calculated that in the $1400 number is if you do the work first then obtain the permit they charge a penalty. This is the way in the TNH.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:30 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
First start by telling us what town this is in.

Sounds like you used a semi shady plumber who while licensed, did not want to get a permit for work that they knew they needed you needed a permit for. And yes, the cost they are charging you may be part of the cost of getting a permit. Some of that may be refundable.

Based on your writing, it seems like there may be a bit of a language barrier here, yes? If so, see if you can get a friendly neighbor or co worker involved to see if they can help walk you through exactly what is happening. It would also make sense to call the town hall's building department and inquire with them about the process.

If this plumber is licensed, and wants to keep their license, they have an interest in doing everything above board and correctly. If you really don't trust them you may need to bring in another plumber but it may be difficult to find one to take this on.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:51 AM

84 posts, read 46,512 times
Some licensed plumbers are crooks. Always have a contract and never pay in full unless work is completed. Period.

I had 4 quotes for work. 8k, 10k, 10k and 16k. Like wtf. They think im stupid

Old 05-08-2021, 07:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I can tell you a few things. This is part of the process of buying a "bank owned" home, there often are many things that need to be updated and many surprises. You don't say what town, but the TNH, does the final inspection and they may or may not pass based on their criteria for CoC. IF they find something deficient, then yes in order to get the CoC, it will cost you more.

I am guessing that the $1400 is not for plumbing work but for the permits necessary to have the plumber/gas company come in and do the work. You should have applied for the permits and gotten them first. I could be wrong, but, the next surprise you might be in for, unless the plumber calculated that in the $1400 number is if you do the work first then obtain the permit they charge a penalty. This is the way in the TNH.
I can only speak for town of Huntington. It’s $325 for nat gas permit. And national grid doesn’t charge any fees for inspections etc. each re inspection is $50. It’s possibly the crooked nassau towns charge way more.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:04 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I can only speak for town of Huntington. It’s $325 for nat gas permit. And national grid doesn’t charge any fees for inspections etc. each re inspection is $50. It’s possibly the crooked nassau towns charge way more.
Yeah they're expensive especially if dealing with a village but most of the money comes back when the CO is complete. So the OP may get back a big chunk of that but it's hard to tell exactly what she's being charged from her post.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

This is town of Huntington,they first came for pressure test then said there is leaking and all pipes need to be changed because there are paint on some pipes, so he charged us 5k for changing the pipes from meter to boiler,heater and range, and he clearly told me before performing the work that they will call the town to come do the inspection next week and they will be here too, but on the invoice he sent to me it only states what pipe works they did not mentioned anything about inspection, since we hired a licensed plumber we are just following their instructions, after their worker from the same company finished the job, he said there is no need for inspection and gave us a pressure test affidavit letter to give to gas company, so we paid them in full. Then gas company came even though we do have the affidavit letter from this plumber and his license number was on there too, the gas company said since the pipes from meter to the house is new, we do need a pressure test passed by town. So when we told the plumber that, the plumber asking for another 1400 for call town to schedule the inspection and sure up to do the test, this 1400 do not including any charges from the town, that we will need to pay separately. At this point, my concern really is what is town inspection said we need to make changes on the work they did, are they going to charge us again? As a licensed plumber is there rules ask the plumber to do all his work upto code?

Old 05-08-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
This is also town of Huntington. And the 1400 is only for him to call and schedule the work with town and show up at the inspection, any fee charged by town we need to pay separately. We paid him 5k for the plumbing job and we paid in full when he said there is no inspection needed, because we thought the job was finished

Old 05-08-2021, 07:54 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
In TNH. There is a set fee for a permit of any kind, I am not aware of the exact cost. There are general categories of permits and more specific ones. BUT, if you did the work first and then applied for a permit, the penalty is 4 times the cost of the original permit. No additional fee from the town.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datnoids151 View Post
Some licensed plumbers are crooks. Always have a contract and never pay in full unless work is completed. Period.

I had 4 quotes for work. 8k, 10k, 10k and 16k. Like wtf. They think im stupid
Unfortunately we paid him in full, when he said the job is done and no inspection needed, we hired a licensed plumber so we though he will play everything by rule. Now we know it is not always true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island