Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 08:53 PM

26 posts, read 16,251 times

Advertisements

Am looking at a property on Roosevelt north of Stewart. Mid-block, the zip code becomes NHP and just past the backyard, you are in Stewart Manor. Is this part of GC any less desirable than other parts of GC? I have read that GC bordering Hempstead, specifically south and east of Clinton and Commercial should be avoided. I've looked at NHP but feel I would fit in better in GC than NHP. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 02:23 AM

90 posts, read 67,017 times
GC, NHP and SM all nice areas. RE values might be affected depending on what school district the property is in (GC SD not the same exact boundary as Village of GC) and if you have legal access to village amenities like the GC pool. Depending on your wants, needs and budget, all fit the bill for modestly upscale suburban communities. Nothing close to less desirable blocks bordering on Hempstead Village.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
It is a great area. It is not in the ritzy part of town, but you are in GC SD. DH had friends that grew up on Roosevelt and it is still a lovely area, and as far as he has heard, there are still some of his friends parents who while elderly still living on Roosevelt.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Great area. Have no worries. My kids had friends that lived in that area, can walk to either station (SM or NHP) close to the Covert Ave shopping. Just make sure the house is GC schools and not NHP. Confirm with the school district.

Jefferson St should still be GC on the next street over.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:46 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisp624 View Post
Am looking at a property on Roosevelt north of Stewart. Mid-block, the zip code becomes NHP and just past the backyard, you are in Stewart Manor. Is this part of GC any less desirable than other parts of GC? I have read that GC bordering Hempstead, specifically south and east of Clinton and Commercial should be avoided. I've looked at NHP but feel I would fit in better in GC than NHP. Thanks.
You may be thinking of Garden City Park (GCP) and not Garden City. They are different. New Hyde Park doesn’t border Garden City but it does border GCP. As far as what is more desirable, that is subjective but generally speaking Garden City is a richer community with higher priced homes. GCP is more similar to NHP than to the actual village of Garden City.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:57 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
You may be thinking of Garden City Park (GCP) and not Garden City. They are different. New Hyde Park doesn’t border Garden City but it does border GCP. As far as what is more desirable, that is subjective but generally speaking Garden City is a richer community with higher priced homes. GCP is more similar to NHP than to the actual village of Garden City.
The area he is talking about is considered NHP, on the west side of NHP Rd and north of Stewart. The first few blocks are GC and then the rest is NHP there.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:47 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The area he is talking about is considered NHP, on the west side of NHP Rd and north of Stewart. The first few blocks are GC and then the rest is NHP there.
OK, I always thought of that area as Stewart Manor, not Garden City because of the location of the Stewart Manor Station. Sometimes I took the train to Stewart Manor if I missed the NHP train and walked up NHP Road to Jericho Turnpike.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:19 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Another one hit wonder asking about towns and then never responding back.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:05 PM

26 posts, read 16,251 times
Ok thanks for the info. I had been looking at other properties in the GC area that are not on or very close to busy roads or very close to the LIRR lines. Wasn’t so sure about this particular block. Not sure how many blocks change towns mid-block. The first property in the GC area I looked at was actually in GC south so I just wanted confirmation that the houses on this stretch are actually in GC and don’t have anything I should be concerned about.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:13 PM

29 posts, read 24,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisp624 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I had been looking at other properties in the GC area that are not on or very close to busy roads or very close to the LIRR lines. Wasn’t so sure about this particular block. Not sure how many blocks change towns mid-block. The first property in the GC area I looked at was actually in GC south so I just wanted confirmation that the houses on this stretch are actually in GC and don’t have anything I should be concerned about.
I live on the NHP side a few blocks over. I can vouch for the area being quiet with not much traffic. Being in between the rail road, Covert, Stewart and New Hyde Park road is helpful in blocking out the cross thru traffic. For the most part, there is no need to drive through that area unless you live there or driving to the railroad on 12th. I take my kids for walks all the time without fear of being ran over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island