Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 06:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4aplace View Post
Thank you for your response. Do you live in Merrick? What kind of people live there, i.e. friendly, work in white collar jobs, or snobs, or a bunch of construction workers, religion.. if i move there will neighbors stop by to say hi, etc... are there just a bunch of people who moved out of brooklyn, etc.. this kind of stuff...

Now pretend that you are one of those "Merrick people" and wanted to move in, that kind of attitude will get you far.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 08:34 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4aplace View Post
Any comments would be appreciated!
Lindsay Lohan and her folks are from Merrick. Newsday used to post about them often. You could be neighbors.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:05 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I'd feel weird going over to a new neighbors house saying hi welcome to the neighborhood. I only did it with the people next door because we were getting their mail. When they see me outside they waive and we waive back. No need to do anything more.
You should bring over a freshly baked cake and properly welcome them to the neighborhood.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:36 AM

48 posts, read 29,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
You should bring over a freshly baked cake and properly welcome them to the neighborhood.
Many of the issues CD users have here with their neighbors’ fence lines, trees, noise, cars, etc could easily be avoided or peacefully remedied if more people made the effort to introduce themselves to new neighbors. No need to roll out the welcome wagon but a quick hello and maybe a $15 bottle of wine or offer of help goes along way to building at least a civil relationship with those that will be inhabiting the same over-taxed block you both call home.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:01 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommutinJoe View Post
Many of the issues CD users have here with their neighbors’ fence lines, trees, noise, cars, etc could easily be avoided or peacefully remedied if more people made the effort to introduce themselves to new neighbors. No need to roll out the welcome wagon but a quick hello and maybe a $15 bottle of wine or offer of help goes along way to building at least a civil relationship with those that will be inhabiting the same over-taxed block you both call home.
This exactly.

I'm in Wantagh and grew up in bellmore. I can't exactly comment on Merrick particulars. Besides I like the look of Merrick woods, don't really know the people. I generally don't like most of the areas south of merrick road in most of the south shore towns, but I haven't explored south merrick.

Listen, you don't have to go baking cakes and inviting yourself over to new neighbors. However, you should go and introduce yourself when you see them outside and make acquaintances. At least I do. it certainly helps in getting along when someone treads on someone else either by making noise late, parks cars etc. You get less annoyed when you know the kids making the noise and they are more likely to be considerate when they know the person they're disturbing. A little politeness, empathy, and common courtesy goes a long way.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:00 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
No one did that for me when I moved in in 2003.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:09 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No one did that for me when I moved in in 2003.
It was the customary thing to do back in the old days. I was just busting on ya.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:17 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
It was the customary thing to do back in the old days. I was just busting on ya.
I know my mom used to do that back in the 70's and 80's

Old 06-18-2021, 08:16 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
I'm not a supporter of BLM, but when they decided to protest in Merrick, these Merrick residents came out to greet them... What dya think? Lawyers and doctors? LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnKt9DBZYMg
https://twitter.com/colljamosh/statu...676690946?s=20
https://twitter.com/lindseypsolomon/...523080710?s=20

Old 06-18-2021, 09:58 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I'm not a supporter of BLM, but when they decided to protest in Merrick, these Merrick residents came out to greet them... What dya think? Lawyers and doctors? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnKt9DBZYMg
https://twitter.com/colljamosh/statu...676690946?s=20
https://twitter.com/lindseypsolomon/...523080710?s=20
They look like normal Long Island residents scared of damage to their hometown, a risk which was front and center a year ago, with Merrick one of the first locations where rioters expanded after trashing Manhattan on live television. We should all cut them far more slack than woody516 and his snark on the internet a year later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island