Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 09:55 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah it’s all over the news.
The anti-vaxxers are bugging out over the ever increasing vaccine mandates.
They’re all either threatening to, or already have pulled their kids out of schools.
And the new commanderess in chief of NY is talking silly about doing vaccine mandates.
Pretty hard to mandate a vaccine that isn't even available to kids under 12, and which is still under EUA for under 16, but I'm not surprised the anti vaxxers haven't figured that out. Much easier to be angry over something that isn't even possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 08:18 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
There have been statutes imposing vaccine mandates in schools for centuries. A smallpox vaccine mandate was enacted in Massachusetts 190 years ago. There has been a state-wide vaccine statute in NY since the Civil War. Even before COVID, one could not attend or be employed at a school in NYS without vaccination against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, poliomyelitis, hepatitis B, varicella and meningococca. To pretend this is new or adding COVID to the list some wild government overreach simply ignores reality.
Aside from the hardcore anti-vaxxers I think the issue is the time frame. People are still afraid that in a few years people will be coming down with strange cancers and glowing in the dark and such. Mandated vaccines for schools and whatever have a track record of sorts of being “safe”, they’ve been around a long time.
This covid shot is brand new with no long term testing. So yeah, from most of the people I’ve spoken to that are hesitant to get it, they just don’t feel it’s been around long enough to really be “safe”, or not.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:15 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pretty hard to mandate a vaccine that isn't even available to kids under 12, and which is still under EUA for under 16, but I'm not surprised the anti vaxxers haven't figured that out. Much easier to be angry over something that isn't even possible.
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument, I think I heard.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:37 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument, I think I heard.

Plus "it hasn't been around long enough" but "we'll take ivermectin if we get Covid".

Also, coronaviruses are not new, and they've been working on mRNA vaccines for them for decades.

Finally if you believe it came out of a lab, you best believe a vaccine was already ready or in the works whilst it was incubating.

Not a lot of deep thinkers out there.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:14 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
See how bananas this whole thing is?
It’s incredible how nutty this is making everyone.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:50 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
So I imagine the commute from Suffolk County to Manhattan will get much worse soon when schools aren’t resumes correct? It’s hard to imagine it getting much worse. I just read an article in Crains business publication That there’s been an increase of about 34% in car registrations. There are a lot more cars on the road now due to the pandemic, Increase in subway crime and worse subway service.
I used to commute back and forth between Suffolk and Queens. I noticed a couple of things over the years.

Jan/Feb --- slight slowdown in traffic

July/August --- generally less traffic in the summer unless you are going east during the evening rush on Friday and .... Thursday! Also weekend beach traffic in Nassau County, mostly on the Southern State.

September --- traffic increases greatly compared to the summer. There also seems to be alot of accidents, at least some of which I suspect are newer drivers (college students). A single accident can lead to major delays.

December --- also alot of accidents and increased traffic near malls and major stores.

What has changed since 2000

Summer traffic is still less but has increased compared to years ago. The summer slowdown seems to happen in mid-July now (early July still has alot of traffic), not sure why. Year round, there seems to be traffic all times of the day now.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:59 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Plus "it hasn't been around long enough" but "we'll take ivermectin if we get Covid".

Also, coronaviruses are not new, and they've been working on mRNA vaccines for them for decades.

Finally if you believe it came out of a lab, you best believe a vaccine was already ready or in the works whilst it was incubating.

Not a lot of deep thinkers out there.
Please just stop with the common sense. You're giving the "mitwits" a headache.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Traffic just flat out sucks everywhere on Long Island.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:18 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
coming to work VIA SS parkway from my exit which is 43 to my job exit 33 took me 20 min today. Coming home will be another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island