Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:01 AM

1,467 posts, read 761,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Definitely not, just plain white and probably vinyl. Probably only have 8-10 years left on LI to escape to a free low tax conservative state.
If that’s the case do the windows need to be replaced ? I don’t think you’ll get much return on vinyl window replacement when you sell. Unless of course you need to replace them.

I sat down with tri state in deer park also . They were nice and easy to work with. I ended up going with Anderson’s so that’s the only reason I didn’t use them. Tri state makes the windows/ installs them/ and warranty’s them which is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 07:55 AM

983 posts, read 725,909 times
What about quality?
Some windows are or look SO cheap.
Vinyl is horrible.
Is wood good in terms of sound/temps proofing?
Andersen 400 series (wood) I think is what someone recommended me.
Any opinions on that?

Old 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM

36 posts, read 44,503 times
I had 19 windows replaced by renewal by Andersen and had the 400 series installed and have no complaints regarding the installation or quality of windows. I had the windows replaced in June 2012 and they held up fine during sandy.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:00 PM

84 posts, read 46,703 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, my friend had renewal by Anderson at his home and he fell over laughing when they gave him a quote. They were more than double any other estimate he got.
3 hrs in my house for Andersen. They started at 96k. Then 58k and then 48k.

I said no. Manager called and said 45k. Im like good bye

Old 10-16-2021, 09:01 PM

983 posts, read 725,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datnoids151 View Post

Almost the same with pella in my house

Old 10-17-2021, 06:03 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:

That's insane! For how many windows and when was this? I paid 15K for 8 windows plus a slider window in the kitchen. this was last year. the 15K was after all of the discounts we received.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:03 PM

909 posts, read 1,838,259 times
Quote:
Definitely not, just plain white and probably vinyl. Probably only have 8-10 years left on LI to escape to a free low tax conservative state.
Don't bother replacing pos vinyl replacement windows with other pos vinyl replacement windows. Unless of course the windows don't work properly or are foggy.

My point on the black windows has to do with appearance more than cost. Yes they aren't much more money per unit but, the look it gives off is of high quality, luxurious. I'm not surprised people still use white. They still install trash like vinyl windows and use vinyl siding on new construction, its cheap looking.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:45 PM

84 posts, read 46,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Don't bother replacing pos vinyl replacement windows with other pos vinyl replacement windows. Unless of course the windows don't work properly or are foggy.

My point on the black windows has to do with appearance more than cost. Yes they aren't much more money per unit but, the look it gives off is of high quality, luxurious. I'm not surprised people still use white. They still install trash like vinyl windows and use vinyl siding on new construction, its cheap looking.
So what material do u recommend? Fibre or fiber x?

Old 10-20-2021, 06:23 AM

1,467 posts, read 761,476 times
Quote:
So what material do u recommend? Fibre or fiber x?
He had no idea what he’s talking about. He’s never even felt the heat a black window absorbs in the height of summer. He’s just talking trends.

Vinyl siding expands and contracts with the season changes we have. I have insulated vinyl siding that adds a r value to my house and insulates it. Created a seal from termites supposedly.

Cement siding can absorb moisture in some cases.

Brick sucks.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:37 PM

909 posts, read 1,838,259 times
As someone who has black windows in direct southern exposure, I can assure you heat transfer is non existent. Andersen 400 series is mostly wood and as most know wood doesn't transfer heat.

Vinyl though is not a structural product. Its good to wrap wood with but on its own its straight garbage. Any siding that melts from the reflexion of the sun off a pane of glass is crap. Sure it looks good for a short period of time but, then looks crappy and painting it is less than ideal. All people care about is getting a good 10 -20 years out of something and then its someone elses problem.

"brick sucks" Is that you Tom Silva?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: