Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 11:51 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times

Advertisements

There are great ways to make money in nyc real estate but you need to know how to play the game and have the contacts

Buying packages of coop apartments with original rent stabilized tenants and buying out the tenants leases can net tons of profit when sold

But it is risky and you can’t buy one or two . We had to buy 9 in a package
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 03:52 PM

20,296 posts, read 21,051,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are great ways to make money in nyc real estate but you need to know how to play the game and have the contacts

Buying packages of coop apartments with original rent stabilized tenants and buying out the tenants leases can net tons of profit when sold

But it is risky and you can’t buy one or two . We had to buy 9 in a package
Well look at you Mr. Real Estate mogul! Lol

Old 10-17-2021, 04:15 PM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Not anymore , all sold and gone…I own no real estate anymore nor do I want any

Old 10-17-2021, 08:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,056,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
NYC rentals are 110% about appreciation. After the insane maintenance fees and gigantic mortgage assuming you put down 20% your not making $$ a 1m apt with a 750k note and $1500 maintenance puts you around $4600. The rent will barely cover your costs and you may be under water. If your growing 10%+ a year it’s fine. W/o a high appreciation rate it’s a horrific financial move.
I guess you missed the "decades ago" I wrote down. My boss/company is doing great with their Manhattan properties. Even with the one that has a lot of lower income tenants that pull all sorts of stunts with the courts and not pay rent. Funny thing is, during this whole pandemic, non of our tenants have failed to pay rent besides the ones that were habitual before the pandemic happened.

We even had two properties in mid town that had 50% vacancy during height of pandemic, but only stayed that way for about 6 months. Then the next few months after that, they are back to full capacity. My bosses have even refinanced the buildings at a cheaper rate for even more money, and used leftover to buy more property. I really need to ask for a bigger raise.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:24 PM

723 posts, read 626,487 times
You will have more fun and maybe luck just betting on football!
Li real estate is a bad bad idea!

Old 10-21-2021, 05:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 1,554,115 times
Real estate is a great vehicle to build personal wealth. It's a passive activity but does sometimes require your time, depending on how you choose to manage the property.

It's not all profit though. At some point the roof needs replacing. The hot water heater won't last forever. Carpet wears out and walls need to be repainted.

I self managed for a couple of decades. For the past 6 years, I've let professionals manage the day to day. So far in my case, the percentage I pay is well worth it. Their application process will most likely weed out poor prospective tenants. When I did it myself, I had a few that didn't prioritize paying their rent. I have had zero months with non payment of rent. In hind sight, I should have had pros handle it years ago. Live and learn.

I got into this in my late 20s. Other family members tried to convince me that it was a bad use of my money. I'm glad I stayed to course. The real bonus is in appreciation, so you have to be in it for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island