Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 11,138 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, last year in fall I installed around 40+ emerald green arborvitaes. Among them 5 perished and I had to reinstall 5 new one. I just want to make I’m prepared for this coming winter so that I don’t lose anymore. Any advice you can share please? One thing I’m noticing that few trees inside are browning. Very scared. I water these trees every other day by garden hose. It was a big investment, just want them to survive :’(. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 03:28 PM

411 posts, read 288,904 times
You can fertilize each with some Espoma Holly Tone.

You're really at the mercy of how (and when) they were planted. Most so called "pros" don't know how to plant a tree. They should stick to cutting lawns...which they do wrong as well, they cut too short and don't mulch the clippings back in.

A bigger concern with emerald green arborvitae is that they are multi stemmed and tend to splay open under heavy snows. See how they do in the snow...but they can be tied together inside where you won't see the string.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:00 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mra1991 View Post
Hello guys, last year in fall I installed around 40+ emerald green arborvitaes. Among them 5 perished and I had to reinstall 5 new one. I just want to make I’m prepared for this coming winter so that I don’t lose anymore. Any advice you can share please? One thing I’m noticing that few trees inside are browning. Very scared. I water these trees every other day by garden hose. It was a big investment, just want them to survive :’(. Help!
Arborvitae are not an acid loving tree so Plant Tone would be the better option as a fertilizer. Mulch around them as well if not already done but keep mulch away from trunks. Heavy snow is an emerald green killer. Try to use a broom to gently knock snow off as it builds. I replanted with Green Giant Arborvitae after a late winter snow destroyed a few emerald greens.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Arborvitae are not an acid loving tree so Plant Tone would be the better option as a fertilizer. Mulch around them as well if not already done but keep mulch away from trunks. Heavy snow is an emerald green killer. Try to use a broom to gently knock snow off as it builds. I replanted with Green Giant Arborvitae after a late winter snow destroyed a few emerald greens.
This is correct. Typing too fast...you want Plant Tone as mentioned above, not Holly Tone. Arborvitae do best in slightly acidic to alkaline soil. A little Holly Tone won't hurt em, but Plant Tone is a better choice. Thank you for catching that!

Old 10-24-2021, 04:37 PM

14 posts, read 11,138 times
@isles08 @nassau2suffolk

My landscaper was saying not to fertilize now coz the tip will grow quick and with snow it will break. I’m not sure how legitimate that statement is. I’m in new Hyde park. Weather is around 60-70. Is it still a good time to fertilize? Also, the way and amount I’m watering the plants sounds good? Thanks again for all the responses guys.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:00 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
These are about the easiest things to grow.
Do not fertilize now as we are going into winter. Generally, arbs don't need much in the way of fertilizing and soil amendments.
You should not be watering them daily at this point in the season. Generally the first year they need supplemental water but by the 2nd year they should be OK in our climate. Watering every other day is likely too much even in mid summer, but certainly is now. Browning on the interior is normal for arbs (like many evergreens) and during the winter the whole plant will take on a bronze color but will turn green again next spring.
For the ones that died where are the relative to the others and in what direction are they facing.
I am assuming with the amount you have planted you are using them as a screening hedge.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra1991 View Post
@isles08 @nassau2suffolk

My landscaper was saying not to fertilize now coz the tip will grow quick and with snow it will break. I’m not sure how legitimate that statement is. I’m in new Hyde park. Weather is around 60-70. Is it still a good time to fertilize? Also, the way and amount I’m watering the plants sounds good? Thanks again for all the responses guys.
Plant Tone is organic, slow release, and not ultra high nitrogen. So you do not really risk a quick flush of tender new growth as your landscaper was concerned about. A high nitrogen synthetic fertilizer may cause the issue your landscaper is concerned about. Its not weak limbs I'd be worried about, the concern would be fresh tender growth that cannot harden off before cold winter temps/winds.

For the same reason, it's too late to prune most trees/shrubs, as that may trigger new growth that will be too tender come winter.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:53 PM

And if you planted last fall, back off the watering now..every other day is too much. Supplemental watering in time of drought only is what I suggest after the first year.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:02 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
The Thuja Green Giants grow very large so anyone should keep that in mind especially if you are on a smaller property. Of course the Green Giants grow much faster than the Emeralds but most people have been replacing the Leyland Cypress (another large evergreen used for screening but has lots of problems) with Green Giants

Old 10-24-2021, 06:04 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Just leave them alone. We had a whole row across the back of our backyard in GC. Some browning is normal. When it snows, take a broom and knock the snow off so they don't break under the weight. They will grow fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island