Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 07:16 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,232,721 times

Advertisements

If you are selling your home and have filed with a firm, be aware of this little gem. My sister sold her home in Nassau County last January. She had signed up with a firm to grieve her taxes. She called them and even had the date and time that she phoned to advise them that she was closing on such and such a date. They made an adjustment to her taxes for this year and she had to pay them 1/2 the amount despite having advised them of her move. The people at the tax firm said, she should have advised her attorney and an escrow account should have been set up on the buyers side to cover this potential expense. This sounds like a lot of extra paperwork for both sides for an unknown. In the meantime, the new owners are now receiving a reduction to their taxes courtesy of my sister. I would also "guess" that the same could be accomplished if one wrote a letter to rescind the power of attorney as opposed to a phone call. Just wanted to let others know if this is something that in fact is correct. Don't forget about it as it could cost you money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 03:24 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,217,370 times
Once you're in the process of grieving your taxes and decide to sell before the results are in, I suggest you

a) let the company handling the grievance know and
b) get a letter from the (potential) buyers that they agree to pay for any monies due if the grievance is successful.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:51 PM

690 posts, read 589,315 times
Precisely why I didn't file the grievance for this year, knowing I was selling. They will always find a way, and it will never be in your favor. One of the best days of my life, when I told them to lose my number.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Once you're in the process of grieving your taxes and decide to sell before the results are in, I suggest you

a) let the company handling the grievance know and
b) get a letter from the (potential) buyers that they agree to pay for any monies due if the grievance is successful.
That makes a lot of sense. Not by way of excuse rather an explanation. My sister lost her husband and as her only immediate family all I wanted her to do was move closer to me. In the process, she was packing up a house after 30 years and rather than put the pen to the pad, she called them. Had I known, I certainly would have written to them, but there was just too much going on during that difficult period for her to remember what she had done during her husbands illness.

That said, it is an easy thing to forget about given the time frame and because of her experience that’s why I wrote. Great points as usual ELKE.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:14 PM

61 posts, read 33,809 times
not to be a jerk about it but how much did she save? and how much does she owe?

Old 11-14-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkang View Post
not to be a jerk about it but how much did she save? and how much does she owe?
Not sure of your point but truthfully , I don't know. My point is she had hired them before she even thought about moving and it is for the following tax year. She lost her DH, was all alone and decided to sell and did not put it in writing for the company but did call. The end result was SHE had to pay the difference between the amount negotiated and her old rate and the new owners of her home were the benefactors. She lived in East Williston so her taxes were not cheap.

I posted because if it serves as a reminder to someone else who savings might be $25, it is better in their pocket. My sister found out when she got a note that she owed them money and failure to pay would result in it going to a collection agency. She had the date and time she called but they said she still owed it. Could she have fought it as she was no longer in NY, and waited to see if they would come after her? Sure, but she did sign up for their services and they did win a reduction and it was on her for not sending a written notice to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: