Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 03:27 PM

172 posts, read 221,589 times

Advertisements

Looking to redo my upstairs crawls. Currently have old, flat fiberglass rolls with vaper barrier.

Looking for a recommendation for someone or a company who did work for you that you had a positive experience with

cost/professionalism/finished job is a plus for me

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 07:47 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,353,502 times
I used Defino insulation on my house when we did our dormer. They were good, quick and did a good job.

I also looked at Cary insulation at the time, they were professional when they quoted.

I went with the cheaper application which was open cell foam in some places and fiberglass batts, as opposed to Cary which was more expensive and recommending closed cell with blown in behind it.

20/20 hindsight I should have done what Cary was recommending.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:37 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,341,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I used Defino insulation on my house when we did our dormer. They were good, quick and did a good job.

I also looked at Cary insulation at the time, they were professional when they quoted.

I went with the cheaper application which was open cell foam in some places and fiberglass batts, as opposed to Cary which was more expensive and recommending closed cell with blown in behind it.

20/20 hindsight I should have done what Cary was recommending.
my house is 100% open cell except basement ceiling is batt. The price difference between open and closed is huge.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:00 AM

Thanks all
So basically most insulation these days are foam? Nobody uses batts rolls or cellulose?

In Long Island, I’ve read our climate doesn’t really need closed cell because we don’t get crazy cold and use A/C so open cell with the vapor barrier works better

I’ve also read some people still just go with the blown in cellulose with foam is specific spots.

My entire house is all batts but I’m just focusing on the upstairs crawls which are the front and back length of my house. My attic has batts but it’s part of an extension and has good batts laid down so I’m not messing with it.

I notice a lot of icicles in the winter so heat is definitely leaving my roof where the crawls are and I’m gonna keep that heat where it belongs.

Any more recommendations would be great if anyone had a good experience that knew what they were doing.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2021, 07:20 AM

732 posts, read 887,567 times
Have you done an energy audit through PSEG? It's free if you go through their vendors and usually the vendor will also give you a quote on insulation with a rebate from PSEG. It was cheaper using PSEG vendor compared with other insulation companies that were not under PSEG.

I suggest getting your home sealed especially the attic and then get blown in cellulose. Foam isn't good for old homes since there will be leaks in the roof and mold will grow within the foam.

https://www.psegliny.com/saveenergya...ergyassessment

Old 11-21-2021, 06:13 AM

thanks, i didn't think of that. maybe that is the route to go. so you get the energy assessment but don't get charged for it if you go with one of their companies correct?

did you like the work their recommended companies did for you?
thanks

Old 05-25-2022, 02:51 PM

follow up question...

I called PSEG and they gave me the list of vendors to select for the energy efficiency assessment. They also said you get a rebate for any work you get done with one of the vendors on the list while the EEA is free.

I've been doing some reviews and most said that you can expect higher estimates from these companies because
a- they know you are getting a rebate and estimate you double than what you would normally pay
b- they act special because they are a premiere partner of PSEG but then charge higher costs that tax payers end up paying because its a government program

should i get the EEA and then just get an idea what i need and just go find some company that someone here reccomends on my own?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island