Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,718 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house located in TOH and I want to remove the oil tank I have in the basement. I looked at the past forums before and know that I will receive a certificate after the removal. But will an inspector come to check my basement to see that the removal is complete? I checked Nassau county’s website and it seemed to mention an inspector coming to check the removal but maybe thats for underground tanks? It is a finished basement and Im not sure if it was done with a permit. Also, I will not be replacing the tank and I havent made a decision on whether I will be using electric or gas for heat (already have gas for cooking), will I have to provide the town or county with how I will be heating the home after I remove the oil tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 04:58 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Nassau County Department of Health handles tank removal and certification.

You will need some form of heating. If you convert to gas, you'll require a licensed plumber who will obtain a permit from the Town for the gas line and conduct a pressure test with them. If you use electric, hang on to the inspection certificate in case there are questions down the road.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:40 AM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
You should go with gas as you already the line to your home plus electricity is extremely expensive here and we have cold winters...I know electric is popular in say, California/milder climates but very few homes in this area/northeast use electric for heating and I would think if you sell down the road having electric heat could adversely impact you.

As you have a basement tank, don't worry too much about the abandonment process (you will remove the tank).
Homes with underground tanks needs to be properly abandoned (oil is removed and the tank is filled with foam/sand and the tank remains underground). There is a danger of soil contamination with underground tanks and is quite costly if there is an issue and that abandonment certificate is field with the DOH.

It looks like the county charges for both removal and abandonment and officially requires paperwork even for basement tank removals.
https://apex5.nassaucountyny.gov/ords/f?p=340:97

Whoever you hire to convert will certainly be familiar with the process.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Go with gas for heat\hot water unless you plan to install solar panels.

I only have experience with inspections from the Town of Oyster Bay for a gas conversation. Your finished basement should be a non issue. The inspector that comes, will be a plumbing inspector and not the building inspector. He's only there to look at the plumbing that was done. If you have a basement bathroom, I would make sure that door is closed. I have gone through 3 gas conversions, 2 out of the 3 houses had finished basements and the inspector was in and out in less than 5 minutes. I do believe a second inspection is required to inspect the tank removal but I recall not being home at the time the inspector came by unannounced. He never bothered to come back or scheduled an inspection of the tank.

Old 11-14-2021, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,718 times
If I request info (blueprints/past permits) from the town, would it raise red flags?

Old 11-15-2021, 07:05 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCon100 View Post
If I request info (blueprints/past permits) from the town, would it raise red flags?
No, it shouldn't. That's a smart move to confirm what work is permitted in your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: