Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 06:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times

Advertisements

You legally own the house now and it's your problem, No one knows what your escrow agreement says. I can almost guarantee you it says, there is no time limit and if it costs more than 15k you are responsible for the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 07:10 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanlim View Post
I know! There is no 5k option. The seller "decide" they are willing to pay that much. I am frustrated why my attorney doesnt fight for us. Is there expiration date for escrow?
And yes, the realtor recommended this lawyer and we didnt ask the realtor's opinion yet since we assume that he would tell us to talk to the lawyer.
Have you asked the attorney what the plan is?

Old 11-10-2021, 07:42 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You legally own the house now and it's your problem, No one knows what your escrow agreement says. I can almost guarantee you it says, there is no time limit and if it costs more than 15k you are responsible for the difference.
We can agree on that. But an offer of 5k to release the extra 10k escrow ?! The buyer seems like a first time home buyer getting taken advantage of. We can assume all these issues listed with an open permit with an unknown build time can’t get resolved with 15K. They need professionals. Lawyers / expeditors.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Here's an experienced expediter if you're interested in checking out what might be involved and what the cost would be:

https://captainpermit.com/

(no benefit to me! )

Old 11-11-2021, 07:52 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
If your future planned renovation includes touching the unpermitted bathroom, basement and basement entrance then no need to get it permitted now. Just have your Architect add it to the plans.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:16 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
If your future planned renovation includes touching the unpermitted bathroom, basement and basement entrance then no need to get it permitted now. Just have your Architect add it to the plans.
I don't know about your architect, but mine would show that the work on the area was existing and completed previously and therefore the homeowner winds up being in the same place as he was before....dealing with unpermitted, possibly outdated and not to current code rooms. He will be charged the fee for the permit, possibly a penalty and possibly a variance permit and penalty if anything done does not conform.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I don't know about your architect, but mine would show that the work on the area was existing and completed previously and therefore the homeowner winds up being in the same place as he was before....dealing with unpermitted, possibly outdated and not to current code rooms. He will be charged the fee for the permit, possibly a penalty and possibly a variance permit and penalty if anything done does not conform.
I think the reference was to renovating the illegal areas as part of a larger project and including it as a single "alteration" permit. If the Town/Village isn't aware of the work by this point, it's a possibility. You'll still run into any applicable variance issues, and have to hope that your vision meets code and won't be rejected, leaving you to deal with the complete removal of the offending area.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:55 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
But with that option he walks away from 15k in escrow ?

Old 11-11-2021, 05:33 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
But with that option he walks away from 15k in escrow ?
The escrow is a separate issue, and would not be affected by any renovations OP might do.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:18 AM

11 posts, read 6,710 times
I asked my architect about possible issues and costs. We got some number but he said he cannot say accurately till the town actually reviews it. The issue here is my lawyer wants a written estimate to fight but the architect is not sure how the town react to this. Another issue is my lawyer doesnt give us any advice just told us that the seller's offer. I hope my layer can give me an advice like dont take it that is not enough or just take it you won't get more than this. But no opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: