Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 648 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am having a whole house standby Generator installed. The new gas line would be a direct line from the gas meter. When speaking with the plumber, he said as long as the new gas line is done completely outside, the only line they pressure test is the one they just drew. I live within the town of Hempstead regulations and was trying to validate this. He said once the line goes inside, they have to test every line/appliance. I wanted to know if this was correct or not.

Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 02:00 PM

185 posts, read 110,759 times
Make sure you check the specs for noise ordinance for the standby generator. My friend put one in her backyard and due to the zoning for noise, (i.e. couldn’t be within x feet of the fence) it was smack in the middle of the yard.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,261 times
The pressure test is dependent on what gas appliances you have. If you only have a boiler, should be fine. If you have a gas stove, dryer, etc. then yes, it can get complicated if, for instance, the line is located on the opposite side of the house from the generator. I installed a Generac 22KW in ToH this year, if you have any questions, happy to help.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
Make sure you check the specs for noise ordinance for the standby generator. My friend put one in her backyard and due to the zoning for noise, (i.e. couldn’t be within x feet of the fence) it was smack in the middle of the yard.
The generator creates engine exhaust, so it needs to be x feet from a window also. You wouldn't want to be blowing exhaust near the neighbors either. It's probably no louder than a riding mower.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:30 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monr0e View Post
The pressure test is dependent on what gas appliances you have. If you only have a boiler, should be fine. If you have a gas stove, dryer, etc. then yes, it can get complicated if, for instance, the line is located on the opposite side of the house from the generator. I installed a Generac 22KW in ToH this year, if you have any questions, happy to help.
They put a larger pipe on the gas meter that splits and feeds the generator. We have a 16KW Generac and there's no effect on gas appliances (stove, water heater, forced air heat heat) when it is running. If there was it would defeat the purpose of having a standby whole house generator. There are several Generac generators in our subdivision. We had no problems with the township. The company that did the installation knew their stuff. They ran an electric line through the garage and crawl space from the opposite side of the house, to allow the generator to be close to the gas line. It's on a timer and runs the motor for 5 minutes once a week at the same time. During an outage in the middle of the night it went on for two hours and then tuned off when power was restored. We slept through it all.

Last edited by bobspez; 12-08-2021 at 07:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 08:27 AM

19,270 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Even with the device outside a potential gas leak can be a dangerous thing. Unless you are doing this under the table I would ensure that they have permits and contact the town to find out what inspections/final inspections are required. Is this plumber willing to put his statement and his name & business in writing so down the road if his statement is found untrue you have documentation to sue him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island