Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 762,035 times

Advertisements

I would ask for a vaccination card or negative test of the inspector before entering my private residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:40 PM

1,468 posts, read 762,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I would ask for a vaccination card and a negative test of the inspector before entering my private residence.
If evictions are delayed so should my “violation” inspections

Old 12-13-2021, 08:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 563,159 times
All inspection reports are a matter of public record. As the homeowner you are entitled to copies, and shouldn't have to FOIL since it's your house.

Although Code Enforcement technically has a lower burden of proof than the police for obtaining a warrant, judges are hesitant to grant them. Rarely does the building official responding to a nuisance complaint supercede the Constitutional right to be secure in one's own home. "Someone complained about noise on a holiday" is not probable cause for a search warrant. Any judge who grants one based on three completely unobserved, uncorroborated notices of violation should be removed from the bench.

Also be aware that due to new discovery laws, all evidence must be turned over to you within 15 days of arraignment if they try to issue summons to District Court, or the case must by law be dismissed.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:58 PM

1,268 posts, read 563,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
"Town of Oyster Bay coming to inspect my house. Neighbor complained of noise and vehicles parked outside due to Thanksgiving get together. Strange I didn't know I couldn't have a get together and invite people."

My guess is that this supposed "Thanksgiving get together" has been an on-going event, ie, that noise and numerous vehicles parked on the property or in the street occurs regularly not a single incident on a holiday, leading neighbor(s) to conclude that the OP is renting out space in his house to others or running some kind of business on the premises.

Just a noise complaint would trigger a visit from the local police on the day/evening of the event, not a complaint to code enforcement.
You would be surprised. Karens go Karening to everybody who will listen. If OP doesn't fit the makeup of the majority of the neighborhood, even more so. If this particular Karen or the neighborhood has the ear of a local politician or Party leader, if becomes top priority, even before real life hazards (votes are way more important!) I would estimate that 50% or more of the complaints I've received in the "nice" parts of town boiled down to some version of "Someone who doesn't look like me moved in. There just MUST be something illegal going on!"

Old 12-26-2021, 06:37 PM

398 posts, read 206,876 times
What country am I living in? Thats so awful. Don't let them in.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:40 PM

Probably never happen but record any home invasion attempts for lawyers and future You Tube posting and what's to gain by letting them in without a warrant ? Nothing, make them work for it.

And post the snitch neighbors info online, no one likes rats lol

Old 12-26-2021, 07:45 PM

61 posts, read 33,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Probably never happen but record any home invasion attempts for lawyers and future You Tube posting and what's to gain by letting them in without a warrant ? Nothing, make them work for it.

And post the snitch neighbors info online, no one likes rats lol
this +1
good luck

Old 12-27-2021, 02:37 PM

719 posts, read 621,333 times
So how loud was your obnoxious get together that you ticked off your neighbors to rat you out?

There's more to this story. This poster is hardly innocent

Old 12-28-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
So how loud was your obnoxious get together that you ticked off your neighbors to rat you out?

There's more to this story. This poster is hardly innocent
I give it < 50/50 but will side with the OP no matter what cause a town rat out is a shot below the belt.

Some people are just serial complainers that never ever stop.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I would ask for a vaccination card or negative test of the inspector before entering my private residence.
Thanks to your idea to make me think of it, I would snort some pepper and come out all sick looking, red eyes and sneezing and say I have the covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island