Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 04:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,907,203 times

Advertisements

Apples and oranges.

Our City of Sammamish WA shows on the U.S. Census Bureau site as Median Household $174,003 and per capita $70.377. The difference is that median household includes all working family members, parents, kids working at McDonalds, or adult kids coming back home. There are an equal number of households making more than that, and less than that.

Per capita is the total income of all households in the city divided by the number of residents, so that would include all people and children working or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 05:27 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,839,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Long Islanders are polygamists
Exactly, someone who gets it!

Old 12-17-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Apples and oranges.

Our City of Sammamish WA shows on the U.S. Census Bureau site as Median Household $174,003 and per capita $70.377. The difference is that median household includes all working family members, parents, kids working at McDonalds, or adult kids coming back home. There are an equal number of households making more than that, and less than that.

Per capita is the total income of all households in the city divided by the number of residents, so that would include all people and children working or not.
That was the point. Multiple earners. I never COMPARED stats (median to per capita), it took the wizards here to do that. I used one stat from one source as posted on one site and didn't even bother to care if it was Census data or TV guide. I guess no one likes it. Mores the pity. Back to the hockey game.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:40 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,704,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Looked this up for something else but realized, does this mean it now takes three incomes to make a "household" around here? Remember when we got mad that both parents had to work. Now all THREE parents have to work. Wait, huh?!

The stat I posted simply says it now takes 3 "incomes" to make a Levittown "household." Used to take 1, then 2, now 3.
You are just wrong. You attempted to make a sociological critique of Levittown households using data you didn't understand. Time to move on.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
You are just wrong. You attempted to make a sociological critique of Levittown households using data you didn't understand. Time to move on.
I live here and know it intimately. Once more for the cheap seats (third time actually). "I don't know it for a fact, I just know it's true." Median income is data. Personal income is data. Census data is data. Like it or lump it. Or go crazy to disprove a jokey anecdotal swipe. Have a party. Ahh, sociological, lets talk LICD humorlessness. We have that in abundance. Visit any Broke30 thread for that. It was an economic critique, not sociological. I can give you a few "sociological "reasons why people are living 7 to a house here, but they start with economic reasons most often. Mostly it was facetious. Of course, fun sucked out fast on here.

Levittown is getting largely priced out to L-towners (especially with the new assessments and tax blow). Ipso facto. Thus the INCREASE in per-household earners and illegal rentals. I made it up. If it's wrong, whoop dee doo. Posting misinfo on LICD forum? Oh the horror! Funny how the census data supports it, however superficially or too weakly for the LICD intelligencia. This is why this place never improves. Arguing over the color of shiite. I live here. I know exactly what is happening in my town.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 12-18-2021 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-18-2021, 07:07 AM

107,362 posts, read 109,759,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
No it does not. Your quoted numbers are sourced from census.gov that surveys the population and includes ALL incomes for members of a household 15 years an older, the incomes are not summed they are averaged within the household and then a median determined from the set of all households surveyed. It's pretty much a nonsensical computation.
The financial portion of the census was removed a long time ago .

Now it is just a random sampling done by the acs ..it does not include everyone anymore..it is only all in the household surveyed ….

Heck i couldn’t even take a random sampling in the high rise we live in and draw a conclusion for all here

Old 12-18-2021, 12:06 PM

22,240 posts, read 19,561,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
That was the point. Multiple earners. I never COMPARED stats (median to per capita), it took the wizards here to do that. I used one stat from one source as posted on one site and didn't even bother to care if it was Census data or TV guide. I guess no one likes it. Mores the pity. Back to the hockey game.
You made an argument about three earners. A median income three times the per capita income does not mean the average household has three earners.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You made an argument about three earners. A median income three times the per capita income does not mean the average household has three earners.
All the #'s were median, no averages. See orig post. https://bizfluent.com/info-8301472-d...er-capita.html

Last edited by monstermagnet; 12-18-2021 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island