Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2021, 06:28 PM

983 posts, read 724,380 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know Community Power LI, which partners with PSEG?

It offers 10% off of yor bill just for signing up. Sounds weird.

https://communitypowerli.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 12:31 AM

68 posts, read 100,604 times
It's not a scam but I'm debating on doing it. I'm reading through the contract now. However I did notice it says "UP TO A 10%" discount. My bill is farily low (less than $150). SAving $15 would be nice but if it's UP TO 10% does that mean it couldd be only 2% one month? I mean it's still less but still.

It also states you can't cancel but then in the next paragraph it says you can cancel any time. Confusing.

To get to the contract, I signed up with my real info, did not put my account number in (says it was optional) and I used a gift card with .35¢ on it to set up the account. (you can't do that w.o a payment method). You read through the contract and electronially sign it. they do check your credit because basically they're paying your bill first then you pay them so I'm guessing they give you credit. You must have a min. 600 credit score.

I have to think about this.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:27 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAnjel View Post
It's not a scam but I'm debating on doing it. I'm reading through the contract now. However I did notice it says "UP TO A 10%" discount. My bill is farily low (less than $150). SAving $15 would be nice but if it's UP TO 10% does that mean it couldd be only 2% one month? I mean it's still less but still.

It also states you can't cancel but then in the next paragraph it says you can cancel any time. Confusing.

To get to the contract, I signed up with my real info, did not put my account number in (says it was optional) and I used a gift card with .35¢ on it to set up the account. (you can't do that w.o a payment method). You read through the contract and electronially sign it. they do check your credit because basically they're paying your bill first then you pay them so I'm guessing they give you credit. You must have a min. 600 credit score.

I have to think about this.
It "may" be too late for you at this point. You may have agreed to it already. If you signed the contract, even with a 35¢ gift card, you may have a legally binding contract. Is your address part of the contract? I can tell you that if you gave me a million dollars, I could not give you a single contract number for any utility that I use. So, not providing your account number which you indicate was optional does not protect you. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Thanks, I almost started a thread on this as CPLI came to my attention a few days ago.

Let's say you sign up and normally spend $100 on electricity. PSEG discounts your bill 10% and gives you $90 worth of electricity for $90. If you use your normal $100 of electricity you will pay PSEG the $90 and also Community Power LI the additional 10% at the kw/ rate that they have set WHICH HAS NOT EVEN BEEN DISCLOSED. I have no idea if the rate is more or less than PSEG, goes up or down or if there's additional risk of this smallish company getting hosed in the purchase and delivery of raw material to convert to electric.

This appears to be similar to 3rd party natural gas providers riding the backbone on Nat'l Grid. The big difference is that 3rd party Nat gas buy futures contracts and bear no expense handling fuel. Community Power LI bears the burden of having built/ needing to maintain a $56MM fuel cell facility housed in the parking lot of an office building just down the road from Costco, Melville. It's very likely they will use either natural gas or hydrogen to convert to electricity. Though their website claims that bio-fuels can be used it's unlikely they would be due to cost and higher emissions which escape during the conversion process.

I emailed them with the following questions 4 days ago and haven't heard back yet. I wonder how long it would take to process a cancellation. Will post their response if I receive one.

- What percent of completion is the fuel cell farm and what is the current operating capacity of the facility? Is it running at 20% 80% 100% capacity?

-What is the kw/hr rate that you charge for using community earned energy credits?

- Is there a charge for unused credits?

-Is the kw/hr rate subject to change (up/down) or is it fixed priced and for what duration?

- Can you disclose a list of associated taxes and fees that would be applied to energy credits used?

Old 02-10-2022, 04:14 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Thanks, I almost started a thread on this as CPLI came to my attention a few days ago.

Let's say you sign up and normally spend $100 on electricity. PSEG discounts your bill 10% and gives you $90 worth of electricity for $90. If you use your normal $100 of electricity you will pay PSEG the $90 and also Community Power LI the additional 10% at the kw/ rate that they have set WHICH HAS NOT EVEN BEEN DISCLOSED. I have no idea if the rate is more or less than PSEG, goes up or down or if there's additional risk of this smallish company getting hosed in the purchase and delivery of raw material to convert to electric.

This appears to be similar to 3rd party natural gas providers riding the backbone on Nat'l Grid. The big difference is that 3rd party Nat gas buy futures contracts and bear no expense handling fuel. Community Power LI bears the burden of having built/ needing to maintain a $56MM fuel cell facility housed in the parking lot of an office building just down the road from Costco, Melville. It's very likely they will use either natural gas or hydrogen to convert to electricity. Though their website claims that bio-fuels can be used it's unlikely they would be due to cost and higher emissions which escape during the conversion process.

I emailed them with the following questions 4 days ago and haven't heard back yet. I wonder how long it would take to process a cancellation. Will post their response if I receive one.

- What percent of completion is the fuel cell farm and what is the current operating capacity of the facility? Is it running at 20% 80% 100% capacity?

-What is the kw/hr rate that you charge for using community earned energy credits?

- Is there a charge for unused credits?

-Is the kw/hr rate subject to change (up/down) or is it fixed priced and for what duration?

- Can you disclose a list of associated taxes and fees that would be applied to energy credits used?
All excellent questions. Keep us posted!

Old 02-11-2022, 01:20 PM

717 posts, read 618,927 times
This thing sounds like Bs
Whenever these companies just promote simple, easy , blah blah blah watch out!

Old 02-22-2022, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,903 times
Found this Q&A, I think it gives more details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5h_tp-I5o

It seems that you will get x dollar of clean credit every month on the PSEG LI bill, and Community Power LI will charge 90% of the x credit, and you will save 10% of the credit(not your original electric bill). For example, you have an original $200 bill, and $100 credit on it, so you will need to pay PSEG $100, and Community Power LI $90, and you save $10. That's my understanding.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:34 AM

21 posts, read 16,795 times
Any updates or recommendations for other community solar vendors on pseg page sunation helios powermarket

Last edited by nattefrost; 10-24-2023 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island