Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 10:18 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
This is goin back to the mid 90's. I was helping my dad wash the cars and we had one blocking our driveway. Some lady a "Karen" before Karen existed called cops because she had to walk in the street. Nassau police showed up and said we had to move car you cant block a driveway even your own. My dad was annoyed but the cops said finish washing then move it no rush.
Sounds like you were blocking the sidewalk. That would be different than parking in the street across your own driveway curb cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 11:07 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No idea , I am city trash ….
Hahaha at least you admit it.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:18 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
I haven't read the law, but I would say it's illegal to block your own driveway. Reason being the resident doesn't own the sidewalk, drivewell or the road in front of it. All land after the property line belongs to the city, town, etc.

Also, the police can't tell if the vehicle is owned by the property owner. They'd have to do a registration search.

Where I live now in the land of cowboys and Indians, overnight street parking is legal and everybody does it. But blocking the driveway is also no bueno.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:10 PM

106,625 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I haven't read the law, but I would say it's illegal to block your own driveway. Reason being the resident doesn't own the sidewalk, drivewell or the road in front of it. All land after the property line belongs to the city, town, etc.

Also, the police can't tell if the vehicle is owned by the property owner. They'd have to do a registration search.

Where I live now in the land of cowboys and Indians, overnight street parking is legal and everybody does it. But blocking the driveway is also no bueno.
We have the same situation here in nyc as far as the city owning the road but as I posted above you can park across your own driveway.

Here's the traffic rules for NYC, NYC, traffic rule s.4-08(f)(2) that allows for owners to park in front of their driveways on the street:

(2) Driveways. In front of a public or private driveway, except that it shall be permissible for the owner, lessor or lessee of the lot accessed by a private driveway to park a passenger vehicle registered to him/her at that address in front of such driveway, provided that such lot does not contain more than two dwelling units and further provided that such parking does not violate any other provision of the Vehicle and Traffic Law or local law or rule concerning the parking, stopping or standing of motor vehicles. The prohibition herein shall not apply to driveways that have been rendered unusable due to the presence of a building or other fixed obstruction and, therefore, are not being used as defined in section 4-01(b) of these rules.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:36 PM

259 posts, read 174,276 times
You can never block the sidewalk. But if you mean in the street, blocking the curb cut? Generally cops won't hassle you about that in Nassau if it is your house. They got better things to do, giving tickets out for passing red lights, stop signs, speeding, eating at the local dunkin donuts.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:08 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,356,381 times
I live in Nassau and always thought you could not park in front of your driveway.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:45 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
There are a lot of people with reading comprehension issues here. OP was asking about blocking his DRIVEWAY not the SIDEWALK that crosses the driveway.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We have the same situation here in nyc as far as the city owning the road but as I posted above you can park across your own driveway.

Here's the traffic rules for NYC, NYC, traffic rule s.4-08(f)(2) that allows for owners to park in front of their driveways on the street:

(2) Driveways. In front of a public or private driveway, except that it shall be permissible for the owner, lessor or lessee of the lot accessed by a private driveway to park a passenger vehicle registered to him/her at that address in front of such driveway, provided that such lot does not contain more than two dwelling units and further provided that such parking does not violate any other provision of the Vehicle and Traffic Law or local law or rule concerning the parking, stopping or standing of motor vehicles. The prohibition herein shall not apply to driveways that have been rendered unusable due to the presence of a building or other fixed obstruction and, therefore, are not being used as defined in section 4-01(b) of these rules.
As I recall, it became legal to park in front of your own driveway in NYC some time probably in the 1970s. When I got my license in the mid 70s it wasn’t legal or it wasn’t clear if it was legal.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:38 PM

106,625 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
As I recall, it became legal to park in front of your own driveway in NYC some time probably in the 1970s. When I got my license in the mid 70s it wasn’t legal or it wasn’t clear if it was legal.
I remember us getting the ticket in our company driveway around 1975 -1977 or so

Old 02-09-2022, 08:06 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are a lot of people with reading comprehension issues here. OP was asking about blocking his DRIVEWAY not the SIDEWALK that crosses the driveway.
Not only do they have reading comprehension issues, they are awfully quick to be "Richards" about other peoples seeming lack of comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: