Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,022 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 03:05 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Here in nyc it’s a maybe , I don’t know about Nassau county

Here's the traffic rules for NYC, NYC, traffic rule s.4-08(f)(2) that allows for owners to park in front of their driveways on the street:

(2) Driveways. In front of a public or private driveway, except that it shall be permissible for the owner, lessor or lessee of the lot accessed by a private driveway to park a passenger vehicle registered to him/her at that address in front of such driveway, provided that such lot does not contain more than two dwelling units and further provided that such parking does not violate any other provision of the Vehicle and Traffic Law or local law or rule concerning the parking, stopping or standing of motor vehicles. The prohibition herein shall not apply to driveways that have been rendered unusable due to the presence of a building or other fixed obstruction and, therefore, are not being used as defined in section 4-01(b) of these rules.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:58 AM

690 posts, read 584,378 times
How do some of these new posters survive? My god.

Read the signs. It's that simple. If you live in a village, probably not. Again, READ the signs. Don't ask a bunch of internet strangers about a whole county, with no specifics as to where you are.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:01 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post

Read the signs. It's that simple. If you live in a village, probably not. Again, READ the signs. Don't ask a bunch of internet strangers about a whole county, with no specifics as to where you are.
There are no signs for parking on the majority of Nassau and Suffolk streets. I have only ever seen them in incorporated villages or near train stations.

Last edited by trusso11783; 01-31-2022 at 06:35 AM..

Old 01-31-2022, 06:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
There are no signs for parking in the majority of Nassau and Suffolk streets. I have only ever seen them in incorporated villages or near train stations.
This is correct. I lived in an unincorporated area til I retired and never saw a sign addressing it. I assume the OP is settling a discussion. FWIW, as long ago as I can recall, I was told that you could not block a driveway. It was explained to me by my dad that the reason was because if it were allowed you would open the possibility of someone blocking your driveway. Again, never once saw anything official on this or knew anyone who got a ticket, but it makes sense to me.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:38 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post

There are no signs where I live. And OP is specifically asking about blocking his own driveway. Dont know about the legality, but I do it all the time where I live and no one cares.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
There are no signs where I live. And OP is specifically asking about blocking his own driveway. Dont know about the legality, but I do it all the time where I live and no one cares.
Many years a go we got a ticket in Brooklyn on our own company truck blocking our own driveway.

At that time the judge said a cut curb is as good as a no parking sign …

They revised that to the law I posted above later on

Old 01-31-2022, 07:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many years a go we got a ticket in Brooklyn on our own company truck blocking our own driveway.

At that time the judge said a cut curb is as good as a no parking sign …

They revised that to the law I posted above later on

Is there any nassau county wide law or is it town specific?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Is there any nassau county wide law or is it town specific?
No idea , I am city trash ….

Old 01-31-2022, 10:13 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
This is goin back to the mid 90's. I was helping my dad wash the cars and we had one blocking our driveway. Some lady a "Karen" before Karen existed called cops because she had to walk in the street. Nassau police showed up and said we had to move car you cant block a driveway even your own. My dad was annoyed but the cops said finish washing then move it no rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: