Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 06:43 AM

21 posts, read 16,849 times

Advertisements

It might seem premature to think about resell value before buying, but it's important because other potential buyers down the line will consider these things when house hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 07:39 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
/\/\ Very very few folks will walk away from a LI house BECAUSE it has a basement or BECAUSE it has a garage. (Note: In life there are exceptions.)

There are many folks who won’t buy if the LI house lacks either. (Note: In life there are exceptions.)

So, it is just another factor to keep in mind regarding eventual re-sale when purchasing. And certainly a point to repeatedly address when negotiating purchase price.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:08 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
If the basement is finished as a rec room for children and their friends, great! Otherwise, unimproved Long Island basements tend to encourage the saving of things you no longer need, which become ruined by mold, mildew, black mold and the generally damp environment. Holiday decorations do better in attics, crawl spaces, closets, lofts, garages and sheds.

Many people think Levittown or inline ranches in Shirley or other low-end areas when they think of homes without basements. There are other, more upscale areas that are basement free on the Island.

There is a development of Mid Century Modern homes in Glen Cove that are built on slabs.(not Levitt Built) My sister owns one. They are near the beach and the basement would be a dank, sodden mess if they did have basements. They are notable for their floor to ceiling windows and Eichler designed California ranch style. My sister's home has a laundry room, and utility room. Also a garage. There is no noise from the utility room.

In Roslyn and East Williston there are other up-market developments with really nice, similar basement free Mid Century ranches. I love the homes in these areas. To my knowlege, all of the more upscale communities built by Levitt - Strathmore in Stony Brook-Setauket and Coram, and Country Club Estates do not have basements. When one lives on an island, this can be a plus.

I've always had a fear of basements. Unless finished and waterproofed, they are musty and creepy. I like a laundry room on the first or second floor. Not in The Dungeon. Face it, most LI basements are dank and wet, unfit to store anything.

Last edited by sheena12; 03-19-2022 at 02:21 AM..

Old 03-19-2022, 07:04 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
I remember an adult friend quizzing me about the possibility of removing the dampness from her basement (I think it only held a large gas-fired forced hot air furnace and blower with a maze of vents feeding the first floor, a gas-fired hot water tank, some auto-sprinkler controls, breaker box, and the usual water/waste water pipes. Her late husband’s workshop and permanent storage shelves took up the bulk of the space.) She had never heard of a dehumidifier!! (Modern basements built the last 30 years tend to be much airier with large windows and even egress doors, and 8-foot ceilings -builders know what folks want and grade property so basements are partially above the grade in the back of the house). It was the funniest conversation - she was happy to hear of the invention. We laugh about that conversation to this day.

Old 03-19-2022, 08:57 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I remember an adult friend quizzing me about the possibility of removing the dampness from her basement (I think it only held a large gas-fired forced hot air furnace and blower with a maze of vents feeding the first floor, a gas-fired hot water tank, some auto-sprinkler controls, breaker box, and the usual water/waste water pipes. Her late husband’s workshop and permanent storage shelves took up the bulk of the space.) She had never heard of a dehumidifier!! (Modern basements built the last 30 years tend to be much airier with large windows and even egress doors, and 8-foot ceilings -builders know what folks want and grade property so basements are partially above the grade in the back of the house). It was the funniest conversation - she was happy to hear of the invention. We laugh about that conversation to this day.
Most newer homes have 9ft basements now, mine is 8.5 when the ceiling is rocked it will still be over 8ft. 4 Windows is basically the standard now 2 egress and 2 32x22 or larger windows. Ours gets a good amount of natural light, yesterday at 3pm I was down there and did not need any lights on sunlight was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island