Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,018 times

Advertisements

Moved into an apartment in the village of Oyster Bay. Just noticed having terrible cellular signals in all rooms, for both AT&T and T-Mobile. The Verizon Fios technician (for internet install) also claimed Verizon was no better since there was no tower close by! It was a surprise and I did not even think of checking cell signals before the apartment hunting.

Walking on the street, I heard loud voices every now and then, and I realized those might be people having no signal inside rooms and had to get on the street to yell for a clear communication, lol!

Why is the cellular signal so bad in Oyster Bay? Any workaround?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 03:29 PM

551 posts, read 1,577,232 times
(a) turn on wifi calling on your phone

(b) buy a network extender for your cell provider. These cost a few hundred dollars, but if you really have no signal and plead enough with customer service of your cell phone provider, they might send you one free. It uses your internet to transmit a cellular signal (note you will also be helping out your neighbors, because the cell signal will be available for all).

You can find the cell towers nearest you (and what carrier is on them) on lots of websites, such as this one https://www.cellmapper.net/map

Old 04-27-2022, 05:34 PM

615 posts, read 449,282 times
Move out of the asteroid field so that you can send a clear transmission.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:14 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,094,740 times
I live near the Queens/Nassau border and sometimes I can’t get a signal in parts of my home.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:04 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,673,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtris View Post
Moved into an apartment in the village of Oyster Bay. Just noticed having terrible cellular signals in all rooms, for both AT&T and T-Mobile. The Verizon Fios technician (for internet install) also claimed Verizon was no better since there was no tower close by! It was a surprise and I did not even think of checking cell signals before the apartment hunting.

Walking on the street, I heard loud voices every now and then, and I realized those might be people having no signal inside rooms and had to get on the street to yell for a clear communication, lol!

Why is the cellular signal so bad in Oyster Bay? Any workaround?
You lack of cell signal is surprising cellmapper.net shows multiple cell towers for VZ and T-Mobile very near Oyster Bay. AT&T is a desert.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:24 PM

958 posts, read 1,107,517 times
Can only speak for Verizon. Great for the most part. BUT
South shore LI Islip town area. South of 27A very poor.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:04 PM

720 posts, read 622,046 times
Verizon stinks with all there fees and non sense they keep getting worst not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island