Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 04:59 PM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, I would expect the enrollment numbers to be higher for ‘21-‘22 in some districts.
I don’t think the wave of covid refugees from the city affected those numbers as it was early in the pandemic. In ‘21 was when many decided to move permanently to their summer/second homes, like out east for example. There were quite a few articles on this and how it would affect school districts with budgets, classroom sizes & staffing etc…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 05:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Interesting:

“The 2020-21 school year also was the first time in which Asian students outnumbered Black students, whose enrollment slowly has been declining in percentage and number, accounting for about 9%, or 39,195, of Island students.”
I assume Indians are included with Asian students as they are so-called South Asians. While perhaps geographically accurate, Asians from China, Korea, Japan, etc. have nothing in common with people from India.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:19 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I assume Indians are included with Asian students as they are so-called South Asians. While perhaps geographically accurate, Asians from China, Korea, Japan, etc. have nothing in common with people from India.
This could go for any continent and just makes a distinction in terms of origin within the continent.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:12 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
If it is any comfort, folks from Iceland and Greece are lumped together too.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:05 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Valley stream has been mixed for years. White flight during the blockbusting days of Elmont/Noth Valley stream contributed to that.

White percentage of students is dropping because they are the ones leaving the Island for greener pastures.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:15 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This could go for any continent and just makes a distinction in terms of origin within the continent.
Well then Mexicans can be identified as Americans but they are not routinely called Americans. The rebranding of Indians as Asians without distinguishing them as South Asians from India is somewhat recent. I think people still think of Asians as people from the Far East. When there is an Asian hate crime most people wouldn’t think it might be against an Indian unless it said it was a South Asian hate crime. It’s an intentional rebranding of Indians because I think Asians generally have a good reputation. The argument that people are identified by continent doesn’t hold because people aren’t identified as “North Americans”.

This article from 2020 discusses the identification of Indians as Asians and a lot of people don’t associate Indians as Asians. It would be even a greater percentage if you asked people 20-30 years ago.

Quote:
The exclusion of South Asians in the Asian American community is further apparent when looking at attitudes among non-Asians. About 42 percent of whites, 35 percent of Latinx people and 34 percent of Black Americans don't identify Indians as Asian, with even higher percentages recorded when they are asked about Pakistanis.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...rican-n1242200

Old 06-01-2022, 08:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
White percentage of students is dropping because they are the ones leaving the Island for greener pastures.
Not in specific towns, but speaking generally - I'd contest that fewer of them are able to afford the astronomical property taxes when looking to move here. When 1/3 of your monthly mortgage payment goes to taxes you'll never get back (and this is already disregarding interest you'll never get back), it's pretty ridiculous. Ironically, white teachers are taking it all in of course and have no plans to leave unless for retirement.

Look in many posts where young couples ask how everyone else does it. A big factor could be the strong family support of minorities whether it be financial or caregiving which also saves money.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-01-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-01-2022, 10:28 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Well then Mexicans can be identified as Americans but they are not routinely called Americans. The rebranding of Indians as Asians without distinguishing them as South Asians from India is somewhat recent. I think people still think of Asians as people from the Far East. When there is an Asian hate crime most people wouldn’t think it might be against an Indian unless it said it was a South Asian hate crime. It’s an intentional rebranding of Indians because I think Asians generally have a good reputation. The argument that people are identified by continent doesn’t hold because people aren’t identified as “North Americans”.

This article from 2020 discusses the identification of Indians as Asians and a lot of people don’t associate Indians as Asians. It would be even a greater percentage if you asked people 20-30 years ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...rican-n1242200
I think this is due to having other similar groups of people like those from Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc. that are included under South Asian. So, it isn't just about Indians.

Also, some may include Mexicans as "Americans" under the context of being people from the Americas, but not in the context of the United States of America.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:44 AM

983 posts, read 724,380 times
I think it's terrible these statistics even exist. It only exacerbates segregation and racism.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I think it's terrible these statistics even exist. It only exacerbates segregation and racism.
if you like racism, move to nyc school districts. Extra points for the color of your skin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island