Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 09:16 AM

121 posts, read 121,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Not in specific towns, but speaking generally - I'd contest that fewer of them are able to afford the astronomical property taxes when looking to move here. When 1/3 of your monthly mortgage payment goes to taxes you'll never get back (and this is already disregarding interest you'll never get back), it's pretty ridiculous. Ironically, white teachers are taking it all in of course and have no plans to leave unless for retirement.

Look in many posts where young couples ask how everyone else does it. A big factor could be the strong family support of minorities whether it be financial or caregiving which also saves money.
This goes so far beyond just property taxes. The cost of living in NY (metropolitan area specifically) in general has made it so that only the upper middle class can handle it financially (to a standard of living that would be considered middle class anywhere else). I know we point blame to property taxes and everything else, but when you get to a certain level of income, the property taxes are way easier to pay than NYC income taxes. I moved from NYC to a LI suburb, and I was paying (with my wife) over $11k in incomes taxes and paid around $9500 for our property taxes. We now live on LI, do not have to pay the income tax anymore, and our property taxes, while close to 18k, are still less than what we paid in the city. We do not make astronomical salaries (compared to some of our attorney friends or finance friends, etc) - so for the households pulling in $300k+, they save even more money moving to the suburbs and avoiding the income tax.

As long as there are private sector workers (which will remain as NYC stays a financial mecca), who are making high salaries and who continue to choose the suburbs when they have kids, the middle class incomes and lower are simply shut out. Any areas that remain relatively affordable because undesirable, and thus people decide to leave NY.

That being said, there are still lines around the block for open houses in my neighborhood, and houses aren't staying on the market long - so as soon as someone realizes they can't afford it anymore, there are many others ready and willing to take their place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 09:19 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
If it is any comfort, folks from Iceland and Greece are lumped together too.
At least have same religion just different denomination, and their alphabets are very similar

Old 06-06-2022, 09:36 AM

93,799 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Statewide comparisons are not valid here. NYC weighs down the statewide averages heavily here. NYC schools are funded by income taxes whereas LI schools are funded by property taxes. You have to look at the averages on the Island for a true comparison. A school on Long Island should perform well above statewide averages given the high school of living/property tax burden, even in majority minority areas like Hempstead. Keep in mind that Hempstead property taxes easily eclipse 10K and the schools are poor.

You named better areas but the point still stands. No one would move to Elmont/Malverne/Baldwin for the schools, especially prospective white residents...hence why the village of Malverne is still majority white but the school district is majority Black/Latino. Same for an area like Westbury, albeit not as white as Malverne.

The point remains that there are no good schools on the Island that are majority minority which generally mirrors the area itself with the exception of places like Malverne. Sadly the perception is the indeed the reality.
Just because white parents wouldn’t move to those districts doesn’t mean that they aren’t “average” or above. Like I mentioned before, Elmont Jr./Sr. High has been a Blue Ribbon school in recent years. Bad schools do not get that national award, as the high school I went to got that same award when I went there and no one in the area would call it “bad”(even today and this is a small high school that is more in line with a Long Island high school like a Carle Place(big Irish Catholic population) or maybe like Babylon). So, perhaps the perception is just that, a perception at times. Elmont is probably one of the best predominantly black public(non charter) high schools in the country.

If anything it could be a matter of economics in terms of what school districts are available to families. Meaning, if they can afford Manhasset, Jericho, Mount Sinai, etc., they just go with one of those districts.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-06-2022 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-10-2022, 08:44 AM

19 posts, read 19,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just because white parents wouldn’t move to those districts doesn’t mean that they aren’t “average” or above. Like I mentioned before, Elmont Jr./Sr. High has been a Blue Ribbon school in recent years. Bad schools do not get that national award, as the high school I went to got that same award when I went there and no one in the area would call it “bad”(even today and this is a small high school that is more in line with a Long Island high school like a Carle Place(big Irish Catholic population) or maybe like Babylon). So, perhaps the perception is just that, a perception at times. Elmont is probably one of the best predominantly black public(non charter) high schools in the country.

If anything it could be a matter of economics in terms of what school districts are available to families. Meaning, if they can afford Manhasset, Jericho, Mount Sinai, etc., they just go with one of those districts.
One thing to keep in mind with both of Elmont’s High Schools (Sewanhaka HS & Elmont Memorial HS) is that they are part of the Sewanhaka Central High School District which also includes the high schools in Floral Park, New Hyde Park, and Franklin Square. So if you are looking at any of those 4 individual school districts, you are looking at the stats for the elementary and middle school populations only. The high school population is under the consolidated special school district and are reported separately.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster389 View Post
One thing to keep in mind with both of Elmont’s High Schools (Sewanhaka HS & Elmont Memorial HS) is that they are part of the Sewanhaka Central High School District which also includes the high schools in Floral Park, New Hyde Park, and Franklin Square. So if you are looking at any of those 4 individual school districts, you are looking at the stats for the elementary and middle school populations only. The high school population is under the consolidated special school district and are reported separately.
Yes, that is correct. Elmont and I believe Sewanhaka was also a Blue Ribbon Award winner at one time as well. So, the individual high schools have been recognized for its academic achievement as well. https://portal.nationalblueribbonsch...chools/history

Stewart Manor Elementary, an Elmont UFSD school was an awardee in 2006: https://portal.nationalblueribbonsch...chools/history
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049459
https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000049459

Shaw Avenue Elementary, a Valley Stream 30 UFSD school was an awardee in 2013: https://portal.nationalblueribbonsch...chools/history
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049264
https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000049264

Old 06-11-2022, 03:22 PM

855 posts, read 454,471 times
All the hypocritical lefties who tell everyone how important diversity is, are sending their kids to private schools instead lol.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:02 PM

412 posts, read 291,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
All the hypocritical lefties who tell everyone how important diversity is, are sending their kids to private schools instead lol.
Really? Most private schools on LI are Catholic, no?

Old 06-11-2022, 06:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 570,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Really? Most private schools on LI are Catholic, no?
No. They’re shutting down faster than Kmarts.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
No. They’re shutting down faster than Kmarts.
They are? It looks like private schools on Long island are also becoming more diverse: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-school-i45394

So, that kills the going the private school route means no diversity idea.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:01 PM

73 posts, read 33,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
This is the Long Island subforum, not the New York City one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island