Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 09:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
True, even Hispanic birth rates have plummeted especially those making higher incomes.
Yep....... Less children means more focus on the child you have. Better concentration of resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 10:13 AM

412 posts, read 289,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Bottom line, if you're a young white middle class family that can't afford to hide up on the North shore somewhere, time to get out of dodge and head to red pastures.

The Long Island dream of living in a nice peaceful quiet white picket fence suburban home with good schools is over, rover!
Peaceful, quiet? The neighborhoods are not peaceful and quiet in red pastures because of trashy meathead tatted up musclebound morons with their leaf blowers, power washers, muscle cars, pickup trucks and twangy country music. If you want peace and quiet go to a more blue area in the woods and enjoy nature.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Peaceful, quiet? The neighborhoods are not peaceful and quiet in red pastures because of trashy meathead tatted up musclebound morons with their leaf blowers, power washers, muscle cars, pickup trucks and twangy country music. If you want peace and quiet go to a more blue area in the woods and enjoy nature.
That sounds like my neighbors. But i kid. That was a whole bunch of stereotypes you just typed. Lol. Red or blue it has more to do with socioeconomics than anything else. The higher the home prices are the quieter it will be.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 568,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
No such thing as a quiet blue area in the woods.
When the blues move in, you get the blues.
They cut down every tree, put in a swimming pool, white pvc fence, demand more streetlights, garbage pick up,
Complain about ATV riders, hunters, the wildlife, lack of “cultural amenities†like “good†restaurants and shopping, pretty much everything.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
No such thing as a quiet blue area in the woods.
When the blues move in, you get the blues.
They cut down every tree, put in a swimming pool, white pvc fence, demand more streetlights, garbage pick up,
Complain about ATV riders, hunters, the wildlife, lack of “cultural amenities†like “good†restaurants and shopping, pretty much everything.
I ride ATVs, no pool. Love trees and love the wildlife. Sorry. I don't fit any of your stereotypes.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
All the hypocritical lefties who tell everyone how important diversity is, are sending their kids to private schools instead lol.
Nice try, lol, but I don't see this to be the case at all. This year many people we know through school & sports across both counties shifted to Chaminade / St. Anthony's / one other, all Catholic schools. These people who we've known for years are anything but "lefties".

Quote:
Originally Posted by valethor View Post
This goes so far beyond just property taxes. The cost of living in NY (metropolitan area specifically) in general has made it so that only the upper middle class can handle it financially (to a standard of living that would be considered middle class anywhere else). I know we point blame to property taxes and everything else, but when you get to a certain level of income, the property taxes are way easier to pay than NYC income taxes. I moved from NYC to a LI suburb, and I was paying (with my wife) over $11k in incomes taxes and paid around $9500 for our property taxes. We now live on LI, do not have to pay the income tax anymore, and our property taxes, while close to 18k, are still less than what we paid in the city. We do not make astronomical salaries (compared to some of our attorney friends or finance friends, etc) - so for the households pulling in $300k+, they save even more money moving to the suburbs and avoiding the income tax.

As long as there are private sector workers (which will remain as NYC stays a financial mecca), who are making high salaries and who continue to choose the suburbs when they have kids, the middle class incomes and lower are simply shut out. Any areas that remain relatively affordable because undesirable, and thus people decide to leave NY.

That being said, there are still lines around the block for open houses in my neighborhood, and houses aren't staying on the market long - so as soon as someone realizes they can't afford it anymore, there are many others ready and willing to take their place.
This doesn't explain the demographic shift (as per thread title) though. Another example - I went to school (top 10) here and there were maybe 10 minorities (4%?) in the graduating class. I literally counted from my kid's yearbook yesterday, and out of 216 kids, 50 were asian (23%), and 35 were Indian (16%). We're inching closer to half the graduating class being minorities every year.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Nice try, lol, but I don't see this to be the case at all. This year many people we know through school & sports across both counties shifted to Chaminade / St. Anthony's / one other, all Catholic schools. These people who we've known for years are anything but "lefties".

This doesn't explain the demographic shift (as per thread title) though. Another example - I went to school (top 10) here and there were maybe 10 minorities (4%?) in the graduating class. I literally counted from my kid's yearbook yesterday, and out of 216 kids, 50 were asian (23%), and 35 were Indian (16%). We're inching closer to half the graduating class being minorities every year.
Simple. They can afford to buy homes in cash. Asians and Indians don't care about the stigma of living in a multigenerational home. Running a business or being highly educated white collar is hard work. On my block alone as an American family moves out an Asian family moves in. Young American families can't compete.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:57 PM

Where are they getting the cash from? They come off the boat and scoop up a 700, 800k house and start a business in 3 days. WTH?
Maybe I should move overseas and come back?

Old 07-01-2022, 01:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
They borrow from family and some live in multigenerational homes. In the Indian culture, it's the eldest son's responsibility to take care of his and his wife's parents.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
They borrow from family and some live in multigenerational homes. In the Indian culture, it's the eldest son's responsibility to take care of his and his wife's parents.
Yeah I know all about the multi generational thing.
I used to do service/repair work years ago and the entire family would come out and surround me while I was *trying* to do my job. They would just hover around me and watch every move I made. It drove me insane.
It was always very uncomfortable and hard to concentrate on my job.
Apparently they are very paranoid and think everyone is a thief and does bad work. They would also try to squeeze extra work out of you. And then to top it off, would try to haggle the bill when the job was completed.
I swear to you, I am not lying or exaggerating, this exact scenario would play out at nearly every Indian family I went to do work for. This was usually upper middle to wealthy neighborhoods, like Dix Hills, Old Westbury, Jericho, Woodbury, Syossett etc…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island