Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 06:18 AM

1,213 posts, read 570,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
This reminds me. I am due for my summer top down Catskill drive I do every year.
Port Jervis, rt6 to rt97, all the way to rt17, then jump on rt30 and go all around Catskills. 300-400 miles of smiles, woods, two lane roads and hardly any people.
Not sure about the hardly any people part.
It’s getting pretty busy with all the transplants.
The real estate market is on crazy level.
Of course it’s still nowhere near the insanity level of LI/Hamptons but it is noticeably busier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 10:59 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,178,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
Not sure about the hardly any people part.
It’s getting pretty busy with all the transplants.
The real estate market is on crazy level.
Of course it’s still nowhere near the insanity level of LI/Hamptons but it is noticeably busier.
Give it a few months until these 6-7% interest rates get settled in. Then this crazy market will simmer down a bit.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 570,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Give it a few months until these 6-7% interest rates get settled in. Then this crazy market will simmer down a bit.
How dare you say that! Haha
I even ponder this scenario and real estate agents dog pile me and flip out!
Yes, the well runs dry every so often for a little while. That’s just how it works. Right Elke?
Cycles…

Old 06-28-2022, 07:51 PM

3,523 posts, read 1,427,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Agree with above. Man up, rent a car. I'm born/raised in Queens. 50 yrs old. EVERYONE I KNOW has a car, and we got one the day we turned 17/18 years old. How can any grown adult not own a car?
I live in NYC where everything is walking distance or accessible via public transportation. And besides, I live in a co-op building and am on a 20 year waiting list for a parking spot.

And because I live in the city where a car is not really needed, I don’t have a lot of practice driving in such a city where it’s hectic and drivers are so aggressive. And also, I don’t have the greatest sense of direction too given my lack of experience behind the wheel. And because of all that, I despise driving! It’s very difficult. I don’t know how so many people do it.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:12 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,742,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I live in NYC where everything is walking distance or accessible via public transportation. And besides, I live in a co-op building and am on a 20 year waiting list for a parking spot.

And because I live in the city where a car is not really needed, I don’t have a lot of practice driving in such a city where it’s hectic and drivers are so aggressive. And also, I don’t have the greatest sense of direction too given my lack of experience behind the wheel. And because of all that, I despise driving! It’s very difficult. I don’t know how so many people do it.
You really can't get lost in Manhattan or Long Beach. Worse case scenario, you hit water and have to turn around.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:54 AM

22,692 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:

If you don’t learn to drive by the time you’re 17 it becomes an impossible task. My son did not want to learn and I insisted (yes, backwards right? Lol) because I knew the window is only open for a short time.

Also city people are terrible drivers because the driving conditions in Manhattan are not like other places and they don’t get enough practice. My dad is the worst driver on the planet lol.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:20 AM

853 posts, read 1,445,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Agree with above. Man up, rent a car. I'm born/raised in Queens. 50 yrs old. EVERYONE I KNOW has a car, and we got one the day we turned 17/18 years old. How can any grown adult not own a car?
Can we STOP encouraging other NYers to get cars, please? As a driver, I can say that the traffic on Long Island highways (and even through some towns like RVC) can be horrible. The last thing we need is even more people on the roads.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:06 AM

3,523 posts, read 1,427,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you don’t learn to drive by the time you’re 17 it becomes an impossible task. My son did not want to learn and I insisted (yes, backwards right? Lol) because I knew the window is only open for a short time.

Also city people are terrible drivers because the driving conditions in Manhattan are not like other places and they don’t get enough practice. My dad is the worst driver on the planet lol.

I did learn to drive, but not until I was 19 and in college. I passed both written and road tests on first try. The thing is, I never drove much since I got my license. I hate it. Have you ever tried driving in the city? It sucks! I remember when I visited my cousin in Long Island a while ago and tried driving there and it was MUCH nicer and easier. If I lived in Long Island or Florida, I probably would be able to drive. But here in NYC, it's absolutely horrible!

Old 06-29-2022, 08:43 AM

983 posts, read 728,180 times
It's not nice. you have a decent ocean and sand, but then you have a huge boardwalk with horrible buildings behind it.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:18 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
I live in Queens, NY and don't own a car, so when I go to the beach, I need to take public transportation. So I usually either go to Rockaway Beach or Coney Island. I always prefer Rockaway because I just think it's nicer, cleaner and not as packed. But occasionally, I do take the Seastreak Ferry from Midtown and go to Sandy Hook, which is also a pretty nice beach as well, but never liked the fact that there is no boardwalk with concessions where you can buy food or drinks. That's a big bummer for me.

A lot of people always tell me that Long Beach is really nice and that I should check it out. But the thing is, I would need to take the subway to Jamaica and take the LIRR from there, which I'm not familiar with, so it would be a struggle. Not to mention that this beach is not free, so I would also have to pay for a Beach pass in addition to the subway & LIRR fare. But I guess if it's THAT much nicer than the three beaches I've been currently visiting, then maybe worth checking out and making the effort.

So for those of you that have been to Long Beach, is it really that nice (much nicer than the three beaches I mentioned above) and worth the trip & cost?
I prefer Long Beach to Jones Beach. Less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island