Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 02:20 PM

22,726 posts, read 36,937,776 times

Advertisements

If you bought the car at the end of the lease, why don't YOU have a title in YOUR name? Start there - that's your first problem.

If you just bought it out recently, wait for the title and then sell her the car as gx89 stated - they may not allow $1 but it depends on which clerk you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 03:06 PM

108 posts, read 121,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you bought the car at the end of the lease, why don't YOU have a title in YOUR name? Start there - that's your first problem.

If you just bought it out recently, wait for the title and then sell her the car as gx89 stated - they may not allow $1 but it depends on which clerk you get.
As far as VW was concerned, I was supposed to keep the car and title it in TX. Maybe I should call VW and get more info.

See Conditional Sale Section
https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/...254/leases.php

Edit:
I just found this --> https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-...r-lease-buyout

Old 07-14-2022, 04:27 PM

958 posts, read 1,110,518 times
TO OP
Damn Call the DMV in your area. EASY

Old 07-14-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
TO OP
Damn Call the DMV in your area. EASY
I did and they told me to deal with NY DMV

Old 07-14-2022, 06:46 PM

150 posts, read 111,107 times
Pay your sales tax with form dtf 803. I know it says form is for private sale, but it works.

Assuming your car is currently already registered, then yes mv802ton.

You can do it all through the mail probably.

I did it in person so got a tax receipt right away, then submitted for title. .

Wait a month to receive the title. Then if you wish, you can transfer title to her name. Probably wait until current car registration is about to expire to squeeze out your moneys worth.

Old 07-22-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHell View Post
Pay your sales tax with form dtf 803. I know it says form is for private sale, but it works.

Assuming your car is currently already registered, then yes mv802ton.

You can do it all through the mail probably.

I did it in person so got a tax receipt right away, then submitted for title. .

Wait a month to receive the title. Then if you wish, you can transfer title to her name. Probably wait until current car registration is about to expire to squeeze out your moneys worth.
Thanks for this information

Old 07-29-2022, 08:39 AM

84 posts, read 148,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
But I have not paid the sales tax on it yet after I purchased it.

When you lease a car in Texas, you pay sales tax on the FULL purchase price of the car. You paid the tax when you started the lease. So there was no further sales tax due when you paid the residual to buy out the car because you paid it when you started the lease.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:50 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,303,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
TX sales tax is 8.25% but they charge the tax not on the sale price, but on book value. So I am not sure how that compares to NY.

TX state sales tax is 6.25% and that is what is assessed on motor vehicle purchases. The state allows local municipal and transit authorities to add to this up to max 8.25% but vehicle sales are not subject to this.

Texans who buy a used vehicle from anyone other than a licensed vehicle dealer are required to pay motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25 percent on the purchase price or standard presumptive value (SPV), whichever is the highest value.

https://www.txdmv.gov/standard-presumptive-calculator

Old 07-29-2022, 08:55 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,303,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Do not give it as a gift in NY there is a fee for that. Sell the car to her for $1. NY taxes on sale price. Put 6k for my wife’s 45k car in the past they don’t care.

I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know NY but in TX that won't fly. No matter what you put down as the sales price you pay tax on market value. I think TX charges a $5 gift fee.

Standard Presumptive Values

Texans who buy a used vehicle from anyone other than a licensed vehicle dealer are required to pay motor vehicle sales tax of 6.25 percent on the purchase price or standard presumptive value (SPV), whichever is the highest value.

SPV applies wherever you buy the vehicle, in Texas or out of state. A vehicle's SPV is its worth based on similar sales in the Texas region. The Texas Legislature passed the law in 2009 to raise additional revenue to fund Texas schools. Black Book, the national guide that provides the values, uses an average wholesale used vehicle value based on Texas sales data.

https://www.txdmv.gov/standard-presumptive-calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island