Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 01:50 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,132,274 times

Advertisements

What is the secret in growing large juicy tomatoes?

I plant beef steak tomato plants every year and maybe I get one or two medium size tomatoes (3" round) but the rest are the size of golf balls when they ripen. They are watered regularly, no bugs appear anywhere, I don't think they are stressed. Does growing in containers vs in the ground a factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 02:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,681,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

I plant beef steak tomato plants every year and maybe I get one or two medium size tomatoes (3" round) but the rest are the size of golf balls when they ripen. They are watered regularly, no bugs appear anywhere, I don't think they are stressed. Does growing in containers vs in the ground a factor?
Sunshine, needs lots of sunshine.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Sunshine, needs lots of sunshine.
They get that too.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:14 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,414,452 times
Quote:

Where do you grow them, ground or container? What soil do you use? Do you plant from seed or seedlings and where do you get those?

We're harvesting a ton of a new kind of cherry tomato, Candyland, the size of a large green pea when ripe. They're prolific, but I have very mixed feelings about the taste/texture. We are just now getting some bush and romas ripening, and we DO plant in containers.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:38 AM

5,465 posts, read 6,087,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Where do you grow them, ground or container? What soil do you use? Do you plant from seed or seedlings and where do you get those?

We're harvesting a ton of a new kind of cherry tomato, Candyland, the size of a large green pea when ripe. They're prolific, but I have very mixed feelings about the taste/texture. We are just now getting some bush and romas ripening, and we DO plant in containers.
We have planted our first ever tomatoes (from 6 inch seedlings) in containers on May 15th here in the mountains of NC. It was by necessity as the deer eat tomatoes, and most other seedlings, back to ground level overnight in these parts. We mixed 1/2 and 1/2 potting soil with plain old dirt from the yard or meager mulch pit we have.
We planted a variety ranging from Cherokee Purples, Mountain Pride to Cherry tomatoes. The cherries are just now beginning to produce, the heirlooms are big and green, but nothing close to producing. I have begun fertilizing with a high phosphorus number fertilizer because I have read that would be better for the plants once the tomatoes set on the vine. We also fertilize every 7 days.
Our temperatures range from lows in the high 50s overnight to highs in the mid 70s during the day at our elevation. Plenty of sunshine during most days, but also a good bit of rain as we are in a Temperate Rainforest.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post

I grow them in containers and they were plants about 15" tall when I got them from the nursery. I use regular potting soil from Lowes and I do use Vigaro plant food with calcium every three weeks.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:34 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,414,452 times
Quote:
I grow them in containers and they were plants about 15" tall when I got them from the nursery. I use regular potting soil from Lowes and I do use Vigaro plant food with calcium every three weeks.
Tomatoes, or anything, will really do better in the ground. If they're beefsteaks, maybe they are running to schedule. That's a big tomato with a long growing season, 85 days.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,072,598 times
Quote:

Yes. Tomatoes need the biggest container that you can find. Regular fertilizing is important for container tomatoes, too. Next year, try to plant them in the ground or finding a specific container variety for best results.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:14 PM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Maybe try a few different varieties of beefsteaks. The neighbor gave me a Big Beef that I'm growing for the first time. It's got two big green tomatoes, one a little smaller, and five others that probably won't be ready to pick for weeks. It's in a 5 gallon bucket but I think that a larger container would have been better. I just picked a one pound, 13 inch circumference Better Boy. That's in a 5 gallon plant pot, so containers aren't necessarily the problem.

Are you planting them deep and filling the pot with soil as they grow?

ETA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tomato_cultivars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island