Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 10:28 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,052 times

Advertisements

When I drive between Long Island and Westchester, I tend to use the HOV lane on the LIE, unless there are traffic issues in the regular travel lanes that might necessitate a quick exit off the LIE to better traffic on the Northern State, 25A, etc.

When I'm in the HOV lane, I usually travel no more than 15 mph over the posted speed limit (55 mph) as traffic flow allows. That's still a decent clip, especially with some of the curves. If there is suddenly a long line of cars behind me, I'll move over to the center travel lane at the next legal opportunity, as not to feel like the HOV pace car.

But even driving at that speed (both on and off hours), I've been getting a lot of folks riding my bumper or flashing brights at me, even though the left travel lane is clear. I don't know where they expect me to go when I'm traveling against the wide painted barrier, but they'll often pass me at 85+ mph as soon as the barrier turns into a dotted exit or entrance lane.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a passing lane, and if they want to go that fast, they can move into the left travel lane and pass as many HOV and center-lane drivers that they want.

But am I the a-hole driver? Is there some unspoken rule that the HOV should be as fast as or faster the left travel lane? I know people get ticketed for crossing the barrier or improper number of travelers, but do people tend to get ticketed for going past 70 mph? A lot of cops park by the concrete expressway divider, waiting to pounce on infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 03:38 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
When faster LIE drivers (let’s just say those who prefer to cruise along at 70 MPH or more) see the HOV lane is clear they may move in. Only to subsequently come up against a driver going 55-70 And then the faster driver realizes/remembers you can’t pass in the HOV lane. And frustration ensues.

Personally I’d like to see a strict (and well advertised) enforcement of the speed limit in the HOV lane so all drivers choose prudently. The HOV is not meant to maximize the number of cars going 70+ MPH.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 08-13-2022 at 04:14 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 05:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
While you are essentially "speeding" in the HOV lane, the real issue is that you are being pushed by those that wish to drive faster and that is an enforcement question. That said, if you are holding up the flow of traffic that could result in more problems for you than the lack of enforcement such as road rage.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:55 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Never a fan of the hov lane.
Sitting Duck for the cops, and you are constantly pushed by the traffic behind you.
You could be doing 70 and still have someone right up your ass.
Or the flip side if you are one of “those” drivers, you could be stuck behind someone doing the dreaded 55.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:29 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
The title of this thread cracks me up because when it comes to the LIE there is no such thing as etiquette.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:35 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
The title of this thread cracks me up because when it comes to the LIE there is no such thing as etiquette.
There's a reason my car insurance dropped over $300 annually as soon as I moved from Suffolk to Westchester.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:22 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Never a fan of the hov lane.
Sitting Duck for the cops, and you are constantly pushed by the traffic behind you.
You could be doing 70 and still have someone right up your ass.
Or the flip side if you are one of “those” drivers, you could be stuck behind someone doing the dreaded 55.
Yup. It's really only worth it if there actually is a lot of traffic in the regular lanes.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup. It's really only worth it if there actually is a lot of traffic in the regular lanes.
Yeah it’s good when you hit the eastbound rush hour parking lot. That’s about it.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:14 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,155 times
The HOV lane will start seeing less Use. Starting this past FEB only plug in hybrids or full electric cars can get new passes. So non plug in prius are not eligible anymore. Also in 2025 the clean pass program ends completely with the HOV lane only allowing 2 people or more only. All stickers become invalid.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
The HOV lane will start seeing less Use. Starting this past FEB only plug in hybrids or full electric cars can get new passes. So non plug in prius are not eligible anymore. Also in 2025 the clean pass program ends completely with the HOV lane only allowing 2 people or more only. All stickers become invalid.
Wait, so only EV’s will be allowed in the hov lane? No Dino fuels or hybrids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island