Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 955 times

Advertisements

I have my child enrolled in the scope UPK program in east meadow. I learned that they are watching tv for long periods of time and do little of much else. The shows mentioned aren't even educational or age appropriate. According to my child, a lot of tv and no art projects. They also said they spent some time outside. I was wondering if this is the experience in other school districts or is this just this specific school district. Is this something I should expect all year to continue? Please let me know any experiences Long Islanders are experiencing in their current UPK for 2022-2023 year. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 07:47 AM

21,008 posts, read 28,615,323 times
I worked in a similar program back in 1995. The kids would have a snack and drink first, then they had to do their homework. We had crafts, they played outside and we played games with them. The program ran from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm. I don't know how these programs are now but we were not allowed to have the kids watch TV

Old 09-03-2022, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 955 times
Thank you for your reply and insight. Yes, Scope also runs the before/after care for the UPK. My child is enrolled in their program during official school hours. I wish it were the aftercare program because it would be an easier choice to pull them out. I wasn't expecting too many things it could have been simple things like you stated but watching tv doesn't seem like it should be part of the schedule.

Old 09-03-2022, 04:24 PM

22,742 posts, read 37,003,621 times
What is UPK?

Old 09-03-2022, 04:52 PM

659 posts, read 1,067,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What is UPK?
Universal Pre-K

Old 09-04-2022, 05:27 AM

5,948 posts, read 3,058,649 times
They usually do homework in scope, but it’s mostly a detention center for kids who can’t be picked up after school.

I usually jet home from work to get them as soon as possible. Scope just covers risk of me being late to grab them.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:14 AM

188 posts, read 112,659 times
My kids asked to be enrolled in SCOPE in elementary school. They didn’t go everyday and seemed to enjoy being with their friends after school. They didn’t stay until 6:00 because they had sports practice. Like anything, I think it’s fine in moderation.

With regard to pre-K, I have found that the quality varies tremendously. You really have to tour the school, understand what kids are doing, view the artwork and the projects. The main goal of pre-k should be for kids to learn to love going to school and to learn how to interact socially with their peers. I’m not familiar with SCOPE pre-k but I must have toured 6-8 pre-ks for my kids.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:31 PM

150 posts, read 111,639 times
Scope runs the upk here in smithtown, and my son will be starting tomorrow. I’ll report back on the tv watching after a couple days.

Have you spoken to other parents? A 4 year old may just be reporting his favorite parts of the day was watching a video.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 323 times
My son is in the Universal Pre-K at Meadowbrook (East Meadow School District). Was this at Meadowbrook? He didn't mention any TV watching at all. He also does the before and after care. I will ask him tonight.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:56 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,704,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamused123 View Post
I have my child enrolled in the scope UPK program in east meadow. I learned that they are watching tv for long periods of time and do little of much else. The shows mentioned aren't even educational or age appropriate. According to my child, a lot of tv and no art projects. They also said they spent some time outside. I was wondering if this is the experience in other school districts or is this just this specific school district. Is this something I should expect all year to continue? Please let me know any experiences Long Islanders are experiencing in their current UPK for 2022-2023 year. Thank you.
No, your pre-K child should not be watching TV for long periods in the program. Call and complain immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: