Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2022, 07:16 AM

983 posts, read 724,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My next door neighbor wants to put a white vinyl fence, which I hate, where now there are tall plants that keep the privacy. So they want to also remove the plants that are planted on their side.

Can they put any fence they want as long as it's in their property?
Can they remove any plant or tree they want as long as it's in their property?
Do I have a say on any of that at all?
How do I know they will place the fence on their property when the fence installer comes over?

Thanks,
Guido.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 07:19 AM

85 posts, read 87,147 times
They will have to get a permit and survey to ensure the fence will be on their property line. They can remove anything on their property line, you have no say unless it is on your property line.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:12 AM

84 posts, read 46,555 times
Its their property, they have the right to remove plants on their side. I just did a survey and they marked the property line, they told me to put the fence 3-4 inches into my side when installing fence

Its all a civil matter. Town doesnt get involve with property lines disputes. They come to inspect work and make sure its the required height and code and sign off.

Sometimes you need to work with the neighbors so there wont be any bitterness among one another

Old 09-13-2022, 12:11 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
My condolences. That actually happened to me. Kinda.
They wanted to “trim and clean up” the privacy growth between the property and the “poison(English)ivy” growing on the fence.
Turns out the ivy was only thing holding the old fence together.
And they never replaced the fence.

Anyway, yeah not much you can do.
It sucks. I totally feel your pain.
Personally I think I’d rather have a pile of garbage and old cars bordering my property than vinyl fence. That stuff is the most vile and evil product ever developed. Just absolutely hideous.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:45 PM

Thank you very much everyone!

Old 09-13-2022, 01:00 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Hi all,

My next door neighbor wants to put a white vinyl fence, which I hate, where now there are tall plants that keep the privacy. So they want to also remove the plants that are planted on their side.

Can they put any fence they want as long as it's in their property?
Can they remove any plant or tree they want as long as it's in their property?
Do I have a say on any of that at all?
How do I know they will place the fence on their property when the fence installer comes over?

Thanks,
Guido.
Thinking about this in the reverse.

How would you feel if you wanted to put up a fence and your neighbor had a say in what went in, that you were paying for? Of course I am assuming you are not contributing to his fence.
Or what plants you had to keep or not keep?

What is on his property or yours is the domain of the homeowner.

As has been stated, yes, a survey will show where the fence goes and if you really miss the plants you can buy what you like and put them -ON YOUR SIDE- of the fence. That way you will have the beauty of your own choice plantings.

I grew up in TNH and years ago, back when neighbors were very neighborly and split the cost of the wooden picket fences and you had to put the "good" side of the fence facing their property. I can recall the painting parties every couple of years with neighbors on three sides to maintain the fence. But then it was a different time, the neighbors were all moving in as homes were built and friendships that are now, in some cases, in their 7th decade were formed. We all looked out for one another and there was a different spirit about neighborhoods then.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:51 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
Smart neighbor. Wonder what drove them to want a fence.

I can not imagine a living next to a neighbor who is concerned if I remove a plant on my property.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datnoids151 View Post
Its their property, they have the right to remove plants on their side. I just did a survey and they marked the property line, they told me to put the fence 3-4 inches into my side when installing fence

Its all a civil matter. Town doesnt get involve with property lines disputes. They come to inspect work and make sure its the required height and code and sign off.

Sometimes you need to work with the neighbors so there wont be any bitterness among one another
I need to spread reputation. But thank for this. Very clear and on point response.
I spoke with my neighbors and they said they can ask the tree people to move the plants to my side of the fence.

Btw: 94nasupra just made my ignore list double the size

Old 09-14-2022, 04:32 AM

84 posts, read 46,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I need to spread reputation. But thank for this. Very clear and on point response.
I spoke with my neighbors and they said they can ask the tree people to move the plants to my side of the fence.

Btw: 94nasupra just made my ignore list double the size
U got any good recommendations for fence contractor?

I just applied for the permit online myself, really easy. Waiting on approval

Old 09-14-2022, 06:02 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datnoids151 View Post
U got any good recommendations for fence contractor?

I just applied for the permit online myself, really easy. Waiting on approval
Be advised that you better not have anything at all outside that is different than the current survey filed with the town or you will be turned down. Our saga has been repeatedly been told, but quick down n dirty. We were turned down for a fence permit due to an a/c that the previous owner had installed. We closed on the house with it and added a room and hot tub with it, all inspected and suddenly it became such an ordeal that required not only permit penalties but variance penalties too. In the end, we did not put the fence up as it took too long to remediate the a/c - not to mention the cost.

P.S. They also got to keep the fence permit fee.

FWIW Roses fence who we were using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island