Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 08:10 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,305 times

Advertisements

I paid off my mortgage a while back. The process was simple. Received a payoff amount and sent the money. Done. I don't recall the details, but there were no issues with receiving any excess escrow money.

My credit score was very high at the time (still is) and unaffected by the payoff. The only debt I have had since is the occasional car loan. I just paid off a car loan (after four months) and the payoff increased my score. Credit cards are paid off every month... when my balances are high, my score drops a few points. When the bill is paid, the score goes right back up. Payoffs - mortgage or otherwise - generally result in a score increase for me.

I'm not sure why, but the credit score I see is not the same as the one potential lenders see. I have access to my score through "CreditKarma," my bank, and one other sources. Those numbers (from both credit agencies) are always within a few points of each other. The last two times a car dealership ran my credit, the scores they received were significantly higher than the one I see. In one case, about 50 points higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 09:50 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
To be honest, I don't follow credit scores, but if you are in the 800s and it drops into the 700s, it makes little or no difference to a lender (other than to lightly and superficially probe why it dropped). It appears to me most lenders look at the 680-700 line as the demarcation point for "good" loans.
Exactly which I why I don’t understand why HotKarl had a meltdown over a temporary 80 point drop. It’s not a big deal unless your credit is already crap.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:26 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Paid off my mortgage LOL. I'll be dead by then

Old 09-19-2022, 11:25 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Exactly which I why I don’t understand why HotKarl had a meltdown over a temporary 80 point drop. It’s not a big deal unless your credit is already crap.
hotkarl had a meltdown because he never experienced that before.
hotkarl is still annoyed because his credit score did not gain back the same number drop.
hotkarl hates the system because it takes advantage of everybody and it frustrates the hell out of him that they got another one over on him even though he does everything he possibly can to buck the system.
That’s why. And we are now waaaaaaay off course of the original topic.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
hotkarl had a meltdown because he never experienced that before.
hotkarl is still annoyed because his credit score did not gain back the same number drop.
hotkarl hates the system because it takes advantage of everybody and it frustrates the hell out of him that they got another one over on him even though he does everything he possibly can to buck the system.
That’s why. And we are now waaaaaaay off course of the original topic.
2 posts ago another poster said he had no drop after paying off his mortgage so it isn’t everybody

Old 09-19-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
2 posts ago another poster said he had no drop after paying off his mortgage so it isn’t everybody
My primary concern is me. It happened to me. But I know I’m not the only one.
Somewhere around a month so after satisfying the mortgage. I guess after everything was signed sealed delivered and finalized.
The end. Goodnight.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:53 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,461 times
Quote:

Thats why he is Hotkarl, and not just regular Karl.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Thats why he is Hotkarl, and not just regular Karl.
Apparently so! Lol

“Sorry sir your loan is denied because your 780 credit score temporarily went down to 700 due your mortgage payment”

-said no lender ever

Old 09-19-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Apparently so! Lol

“Sorry sir your loan is denied because your 780 credit score temporarily went down to 700 due your mortgage payment”

-said no lender ever
Not the point(no pun).
On that note(no pun) I’m tapping out of this one.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I play their game every month and win. I use my Fidelity card for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. Then they give me 2.5% back on purchases. Free money! No yearly charge for the card either.
Ditto. The only debt I have ever in my life had were car loans and a mortgage. We paid our 30 year off in just under 15 and bought here in cash. Currently both cars we own outright and we do the same with our USAA credit card. The second to last car we bought had a zero % finance, so when we said we were buying in cash, they sent us to the credit dept to hear his spiel and ultimately we decided to play their game. They get credit and it makes them happy and I hung on to my money.

Last time I checked we were both in 820 range and the best part is I too get cash back.

We recently bought some I Bonds. 9.62% guaranteed for 6 months for purchases through 10/22/22. If you redeem them before they are 5 years old you pay a penalty of the last 3 months of interest. You can redeem any time 12 months after purchase. The way the inflation rate is continuing it is the best deal in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: