Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 05:13 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,777,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I made a suggestion. People can entertain it or not.

Why don't you make some suggestions instead of being on the look out for "progs" or "woke" people?
Quote:
Good enough to take the money from the Elmont District but not good enough to live there I guess then.

One day suburban whites will get smart and gentrify areas to save big bucks on housing.

This isn’t a “suggestion” it’s a nasty uncalled for sanctimonious comment that was completely undeserved by the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 05:23 PM

93 posts, read 41,876 times
Quote:
H. Frank Carey scores/ranking versus Elmont Memorial High School

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istrict-101039

As I said previously, it is not a decision for everyone and is certainly out of the box. Nor do I expect the OP to make that decision. I just feel Elmont gets a bad rap sometimes, and it is not as bad as some folks think it is.
The link you provided does not provide test score data for either school.

And look, nobody is really hating on Elmont here -- it's just that it's silly to recommend it to OP. If he weren't native to the area, it'd be borderline irresponsible.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:24 PM

7,946 posts, read 9,167,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This isn’t a “suggestion” it’s a nasty uncalled for sanctimonious comment that was completely undeserved by the OP.
You know what? After re reading that comment, yes it came out different than I had intended. As I wrote previously, I do like the general philosophical idea of people living where they work to better the neighbor hood.

However as that statement was poorly written so as to make it personal directly to the OP, and that was uncalled for, and was not my intent.

You are right, that statement as written was undeserved.

My apologies to the OP.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:31 PM

33 posts, read 14,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
this might not make sense for you but I would encourage you to take the long view and and keep renting for a while. If you really want RVC, remain in your apartment and save for another 2-3 years (or whatever) until you can afford the house/neighborhood you want. Babies come with a lot of stuff - but it's not impossible to fit 2 little kids in one bedroom for a year or two.
Thank you for the input. We were hoping the RVC rental would be more of a short-term arrangement. I owned a studio co-op apartment on the boardwalk in Long Beach and sold it after four years in early 2022 to cash in on a strong market before interest rates went way up. It was also just too small for the two of us. We planned to rent for slightly over a year until after our wedding and extend the lease month-to-month until we found a house.

Our families always advised us not to rent, but it was more a matter of circumstance for us. We thought it made more sense to rent rather than buy another property with prices the way they are. (I pitched the idea to move back in with the parents until we were ready to buy, but that didn't work). We have a 2BR on the upstairs of a legal two-family home in RVC and pay $2,800 per month. It's not that large, but it was renovated a few years ago and gives us several rooms that we didn't have in LB. The main draw was the location and the fact we had two parking spaces included in the rent. While we do like RVC, realistically, my fiance is still a year or two away from tenure and won't be sniffing a six-figure salary as a public school teacher for at least another 10 years, and i would need to earn quite a bit more than i do now to buy a home here. I think we would prefer looking for a house in a more affordable neighborhood with good schools that's convenient for our work commutes rather than continue renting and hoping we can afford RVC in a few years. However, it is nice to have the option to stay here, and the landlords are great.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
Buy your parents a condo somewhere and take the house in Garden City.
I wish that was an option! They are looking to downsize in the next few years as they are now empty nesters, but are intent on remaining in a house. My dad enjoys his garden, working around the house, putting up Christmas lights too much to sacrifice that. I have a feeling they aren't moving anywhere anytime soon. I love that area of Garden City though.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You know what? After re reading that comment, yes it came out different than I had intended. As I wrote previously, I do like the general philosophical idea of people living where they work to better the neighbor hood.

However as that statement was poorly written so as to make it personal directly to the OP, and that was uncalled for, and was not my intent.

You are right, that statement as written was undeserved.

My apologies to the OP.
Sort of figured that's what you meant. No worries, I didn't take it personally.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:48 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Good enough to take the money from the Elmont District but not good enough to live there I guess then.

One day suburban whites will get smart and gentrify areas to save big bucks on housing.
The issue is that most suburban whites have kids. The white yuppies that gentrified neighborhoods in NYC were childless. Without children, it's much easier to gentrify because all you really car about is cheap rent.

In order to gentrify suburban towns, you'd need individuals who are willing to "sacrifice" their families so that 20 -30 years down the line others could enjoy the "fruits of their labor"? That's not how it works. Hence, you have suburban whites who rather push further and further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island