Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 05:33 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Dentistry without novicane is better
Ooooo! Gotta try that! Awesome idea!
I wonder if I can get my dentist to say “is it safe?” repeatedly if I throw him a few extra bucks…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 08:04 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Looks like Hochul's grand plan ain't happening anytime soon.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/16/expert...lan-wont-work/

Huge push back from both GOP and democrats in Albany who represent suburban and upstate districts. Democrats in particular have every right to be worried; they know voting for that dog of a housing bill will spell end of their political careers come next election.

When it comes between choosing between the greater good and winning reelection Albany politicians will chose latter every single time.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:18 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Huge push back from both GOP and democrats in Albany who represent suburban and upstate districts. Democrats in particular have every right to be worried; they know voting for that dog of a housing bill will spell end of their political careers come next election.

When it comes between choosing between the greater good and winning reelection Albany politicians will chose latter every single time.
You got THAT right!

Old 03-23-2023, 05:58 AM

427 posts, read 154,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Thankfully they didn’t have to choose. This cockamamie plan was both NOT the greater good AND bad for their re-election chances.

Also, aren’t politicians elected to serve the interests of their constituents? Not in communism I’m sure but here in America. Virtually no one outside of big blue cities supports this - and those few that do should probably just move into the city where they can experience all the multi-family housing and be culturally enriched by ten people on welfare standing outside the building all day catcalling their daughters.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:52 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Thankfully they didn’t have to choose. This cockamamie plan was both NOT the greater good AND bad for their re-election chances.

Also, aren’t politicians elected to serve the interests of their constituents? Not in communism I’m sure but here in America. Virtually no one outside of big blue cities supports this - and those few that do should probably just move into the city where they can experience all the multi-family housing and be culturally enriched by ten people on welfare standing outside the building all day catcalling their daughters.
Any politician on LI (D or R) that would vote for Cruella's plan is guaranteeing their removal at the next election

Old 03-23-2023, 10:49 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Any politician on LI (D or R) that would vote for Cruella's plan is guaranteeing their removal at the next election
Oh it will happen. And they won't be voted out. Because come election day, the sheep step into the booth and say "I can't vote for the other team!!"

Old 03-23-2023, 11:25 AM

427 posts, read 154,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Oh it will happen. And they won't be voted out. Because come election day, the sheep step into the booth and say "I can't vote for the other team!!"
Maybe. Suburban voters tend to pay more attention to local issues, as recent elections have shown. And if they do manage to pass this abomination, the effects will be felt fairly rapidly by a large swath of the Island. There isn't a big incentive to get voters to the polls to vote in favor of this issue since there isn't any associated payoff via expanded government programs; the biggest giveaway with this is to real estate developers. In addition, the local effects aren't as nebulous as voting for President or even U.S. Senator, and there aren't huge numbers of voters that can be bribed/bussed around/ballot harvested as there are in cities.

Still, I've learned to never underestimate stupidity.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Maybe. Suburban voters tend to pay more attention to local issues, as recent elections have shown. And if they do manage to pass this abomination, the effects will be felt fairly rapidly by a large swath of the Island. There isn't a big incentive to get voters to the polls to vote in favor of this issue since there isn't any associated payoff via expanded government programs; the biggest giveaway with this is to real estate developers. In addition, the local effects aren't as nebulous as voting for President or even U.S. Senator, and there aren't huge numbers of voters that can be bribed/bussed around/ballot harvested as there are in cities.

Still, I've learned to never underestimate stupidity.
What bothers me most about this stuff, and I have ranted before about it, is how all this controversial crap get stuffed in the budget. Seriously WTF? Weed, bail reform, housing etc..

Up and down votes on all this crap. No hiding behind a budget vote.

"Well my district needed a new little league field, and a senior rec center, so I had to vote yes on the budget, even though all this other outrageous crap was tied to it."

Insanity.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:43 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^ Bingo!!

And that’s the major problem. All this BS is just buried within a budget and gets passed. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ Bingo!!

And that’s the major problem. All this BS is just buried within a budget and gets passed. It’s beyond ridiculous.
I have no idea how this gets fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island