Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2023, 11:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 2,346,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
No, my point is just fine. If we REALLY understand what you're getting at, it's build more "market rate" apartments, with YOUR definition of "market rate" being LOWER cost. That, if you're honest, means build houses in a neighborhood for people who can't really afford to be there.

Yeah, I'd like a $1,000,000 home, with a 5-6 car garage, that could hold a Lamborghini, Ferrari, a C-8 Corvette, as well as a couple cool rides for my wife. But I don't have the money, probably never will. HOWEVER, I don't cry to the world saying that there isn't "affordable housing", and expect them to finance my dreams.

The fact is, my wife and I have done quite well for ourselves, and have a comfortable life........on OUR OWN dime!
Ha I live in 1m+ home you won’t even get a 3 car garage for that today around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 11:32 AM

226 posts, read 129,989 times
Quote:
No, my point is just fine. If we REALLY understand what you're getting at, it's build more "market rate" apartments, with YOUR definition of "market rate" being LOWER cost. That, if you're honest, means build houses in a neighborhood for people who can't really afford to be there.
Jesus H. Christ, first it was scare quote "affordable housing" from you; now it's scare quote "market rate." No, my definition of market rate is not lower cost; it is whatever rate arises from ahem market forces (i.e., supply and demand). Right now on LI, that can easily be ~$3,000/mo; and these apartment complexes don't struggle to find tenants.

Now of course, if we were at the point where there's a ton of excess capacity and apartment vacancies, then sure, we wouldn't need to build any more in that case. But we're not at that point. So I don't know what you're talking about with your "people who can't really afford to be there" nonsense. Your NIMBYism on this matter is especially absurd because this ain't even your backyard; you live in the other side of the state.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:34 AM

13,066 posts, read 18,206,231 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'd like a $1,000,000 home, with a 5-6 car garage, that could hold a Lamborghini, Ferrari, a C-8 Corvette, as well as a couple cool rides for my wife. But I don't have the money, probably never will. HOWEVER, I don't cry to the world saying that there isn't "affordable housing", and expect them to finance my dreams.

The fact is, my wife and I have done quite well for ourselves, and have a comfortable life........on OUR OWN dime!
Maybe if we wait long enough they will be crying for an "affordable car" and you could trade up. After all, they need wheels to get them to their affordable homes, no?

Home: check. Phone check. Food check. Coming soon to your neighborhood - the affordable car outcry.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:47 AM

186 posts, read 68,276 times
Pretty sure shelter is a necessity no? Nobody’s asking for big luxury housing to go to poor people. But are we really arguing nobody making under $80k deserves to live here even if it’s in a crappy shoebox apartment?

Old 01-19-2023, 01:47 PM

13,066 posts, read 18,206,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Pretty sure shelter is a necessity no? Nobody’s asking for big luxury housing to go to poor people. But are we really arguing nobody making under $80k deserves to live here even if it’s in a crappy shoebox apartment?
It would be nice if everyone could live with a decent roof over their heads and not have to worry. I don't think the majority of people would dispute that. The problem comes with the "entitled" attitude that some have that it is owed to them because they can't afford it.

Slightly off topic, but it applies. When we moved we had a guest bedroom that had a double bed, a triple dresser, two night stands and a desk. We called St. Vincent de Paul, Goodwill and Amvets and while this was in excellent condition and I easily understand a no mattress rule, each of them turned it down. Reason??? Because it was, and I quote, "teenage furniture". I was puzzled by that descriptor and called each of them after the refusal. I came to find out that double beds are not the preferred bed and that without an armoire it was considered teenage furniture.

I am very sorry, but when starting out and having little, I think one would only be too glad to have a bed and dresser and night stands. If they didn't match. who cares. I obviously don't understand.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:35 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,188,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
So that tl;dr's to...no. You are not in favor of more multi-family housing on LI. That's fine. But then don't promote your own life story in which you "worked hard" while...living in multi-family housing!

Because that ain't pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. That's pulling the ladder up behind you.

You’re a piece of work & only read what you want!

There are 1,000’s of part time, full time and even remote wfh jobs available. There is nothing wrong with working extra hours to save up $ for a 3% down payment on a condo.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:59 PM

186 posts, read 68,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

There are 1,000’s of part time, full time and even remote wfh jobs available. There is nothing wrong with working extra hours to save up $ for a 3% down payment on a condo.
There’s more jobs than there are condos available. That’s part of the problem.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:05 PM

226 posts, read 129,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I read your answer. It was a conditional yes...under a condition that by your own admission, will not be met. Such a conditional yes is in reality a no. Don't get mad at me because I called you out on your blatant ladder pulling.

Quote:
Did I say there was something wrong with that? Has anyone in this thread said there is something wrong with that? Who are you arguing against when you write self-serving comments like these?

Although if you want me to say whether there is something wrong with what you've said, it's once again eyerollingly hilariously ironic to see another "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" person tout the advantages of an assistance program like the Standard 97% LTV Mortgage, which is provided by...Fannie Mae.

I guess they ain't "handouts" when you benefit from them, right?

Old 01-19-2023, 03:19 PM

6,536 posts, read 3,214,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
It would be nice if everyone could live with a decent roof over their heads and not have to worry. I don't think the majority of people would dispute that. The problem comes with the "entitled" attitude that some have that it is owed to them because they can't afford it.

Slightly off topic, but it applies. When we moved we had a guest bedroom that had a double bed, a triple dresser, two night stands and a desk. We called St. Vincent de Paul, Goodwill and Amvets and while this was in excellent condition and I easily understand a no mattress rule, each of them turned it down. Reason??? Because it was, and I quote, "teenage furniture". I was puzzled by that descriptor and called each of them after the refusal. I came to find out that double beds are not the preferred bed and that without an armoire it was considered teenage furniture.

I am very sorry, but when starting out and having little, I think one would only be too glad to have a bed and dresser and night stands. If they didn't match. who cares. I obviously don't understand.
Bingo!! And, you're not alone.....

Old 01-19-2023, 03:36 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,208,526 times
Maybe part of the problem is we are giving tax abatements to the wrong types of apartment buildings? Why are all the new buildings considered to be "luxury"? Maybe downsize the apartments, use cheaper grade counters, appliances etc, have less amenities, and less bells and whistles and we could get the rents down to a more reasonable level?

Subsidize practical housing not luxury.

Things don't need to be top of the line to be practical and functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island