Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 08:10 AM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
What a perfect example of manufactured outrage. You never even bothered to check your own link:

Manufactured outrage? What does it matter if it's a rental or not? Housing is housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 11:13 AM

544 posts, read 940,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Your scenarios are much more likely. What I’m saying isn’t going to happen is the state isn’t going to just swoop in and say seize 20 houses around RVC train station in order to build an apartment complex.
Just to be clear that I'm writing specifically about Stony Brook, where we have had visioning studies and the specter of apartments where the stores and street (mentioned in my last post) are situated.

Quote:
Even in blighted areas just wait until some poor minorities are kicked out of their homes in order to build high density housing for Gen Z. I don’t see that either. As far as say the old shopping center etc goes, that absolutely could happen and likely will to an extent if this plan goes forward.
Upper Port has done just that in the area on either side of Main Street between the intersection of Sheep Pasture/North Country Rd and Dayton -- all new apartment buildings going in where a large Hispanic population resided. In fact, PJV used Eminent Domain to seize the property of Jose Ramos; he wanted to build a bakery where an old dining car diner stood. PJV made him jump hoops -- clean the lot, get rid of the diner, place apartments in the new building over the bakery when he builds it. Once the lot was cleared and shovel ready, PJV took it.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything, just trying to explain why I, and many of my neighbors in close proximity to the train station, are skittish.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:27 AM

226 posts, read 129,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Manufactured outrage?
Yes, manufactured outrage. Someone else pointed out to you that "those are rentals," and your first response was, "how do you know?" Meaning you never even checked your own link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
What does it matter if it's a rental or not? Housing is housing.
As for this, I concur

Old 02-11-2023, 11:35 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Just to be clear that I'm writing specifically about Stony Brook, where we have had visioning studies and the specter of apartments where the stores and street (mentioned in my last post) are situated.

Upper Port has done just that in the area on either side of Main Street between the intersection of Sheep Pasture/North Country Rd and Dayton -- all new apartment buildings going in where a large Hispanic population resided. In fact, PJV used Eminent Domain to seize the property of Jose Ramos; he wanted to build a bakery where an old dining car diner stood. PJV made him jump hoops -- clean the lot, get rid of the diner, place apartments in the new building over the bakery when he builds it. Once the lot was cleared and shovel ready, PJV took it.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything, just trying to explain why I, and many of my neighbors in close proximity to the train station, are skittish.
Upper port was a mess (still is) though with endless vacant storefronts and again mostly commercial properties not houses.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
The current house seeking generation will have it easy compared to maybe 20 or 30 years from now as we pay down the debt we have incurred through our “mandated generosity “ .

School loan forgiveness
Migrant handouts
Assorted foreign aid

Old 02-11-2023, 07:18 PM

544 posts, read 940,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Upper port was a mess (still is) though with endless vacant storefronts and again mostly commercial properties not houses.
A number of the storefronts have/had apartments, several houses were razed.

All the government agency needs is something to be considered 'run down' It doesn't have to be a mess like upper Port. I've read many different articles on ED and abuses.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:22 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
A number of the storefronts have/had apartments, several houses were razed.

All the government agency needs is something to be considered 'run down' It doesn't have to be a mess like upper Port. I've read many different articles on ED and abuses.
They are renters above the commercial buildings. They don’t own those buildings, when a building is sold or changed ownership a renter isn’t guaranteed housing there forever. Again the state isn’t going to just swoop in and force people out of single family homes so some developer can build a complex, not going to happen in a millions years. And again Hoculs awful plan has nothing to do nor does it mention using ED for anything.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:52 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The current house seeking generation will have it easy compared to maybe 20 or 30 years from now as we pay down the debt we have incurred through our “mandated generosity “ .

School loan forgiveness
Migrant handouts
Assorted foreign aid
I wouldn't be too sure about that. 20-30 years from now, we "boomers", which were a spike in population, will be dead and gone, with many of our houses left behind.....

Old 02-12-2023, 11:01 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. 20-30 years from now, we "boomers", which were a spike in population, will be dead and gone, with many of our houses left behind.....
Added to the fact the many of the younger crowd doesnt want the hassel or responsibility of homeownership and want the amenity filled luxury apartment building with concierge services while at the same time complaining there is no "affordable" housing.

I didnt know housing was supposed to be like a luxury hotel vacation

Old 02-12-2023, 11:21 AM

186 posts, read 67,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Added to the fact the many of the younger crowd doesnt want the hassel or responsibility of homeownership and want the amenity filled luxury apartment building with concierge services while at the same time complaining there is no "affordable" housing.

I didnt know housing was supposed to be like a luxury hotel vacation
Yeah I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of millennials would be fine with your typical starter home if they weren't all $600k+.

I think Levitt houses now go for over $700k on average. With today's interest rates and taxes you're talking about a mortgage of like $5,000 a month at that price here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island