Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 08:26 AM

427 posts, read 155,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
They still get more tax abatements in addition to.school taxes. Many times the builders get a break on sales tax on the building materials, reduction on county and town general taxes, and an abatement on the value of the property itself.

It is far past time to stop giving developers of luxury apartments and condos the generous tax breaks and PILOTS they get.
IMO these breaks should only be given to developments that qualify as affordable. Wealthy people can afford to pay non tax break for developers price.
They get abatements because they pay off the politicians. This has been a thing in the US for more than a century. There is no more favored class in this country than real estate developers, except maybe defense contractors (who also pay off the pols).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 11:03 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,543,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
They pay taxes. There had to be an agreement with the state, no one under 23 can live there according to the bylaws. The reason for that is the state says you are required to educate children up to age 21. Because of this they get a reduced school tax rate due to the guarantee that the district will get no children from the development. It’s a win a win, seniors pay 5k in taxes (3k to the SD). The district gets no additional kids and around 710k in tax revenue in place of what was vacant land paying nothing.
This is faulty logic.

What about people with grown children no longer in the school system? What about young couples without children?

There are many who believe that households without school age children should not have to pay school taxes. The counter-argument is that public education benefits the entire community so everyone should have to pay.

By giving one development a break, others (whether they have children or not) are are forced to pay more and pick up the slack.

If you are going to give the break, give it to all who qualify.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:05 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
This is faulty logic.

What about people with grown children no longer in the school system? What about young couples without children?

There are many who believe that households without school age children should not have to pay school taxes. The counter-argument is that public education benefits the entire community so everyone should have to pay.

By giving one development a break, others (whether they have children or not) are forced to pay more and pick up the slack.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:39 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
This is faulty logic.

By giving one development a break, others (whether they have children or not) are are forced to pay more and pick up the slack.

But no one is paying more here. It was vacant land paying like 5k a year and now it’s paying about 1.357m between all the units with zero kids in the schools. They have private roads and garbage so the township isn’t responsible for anything.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:43 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
This is faulty logic.

Oh I don't know....

People without children in local public school system (either childless or kids had long grown up) often didn't mind paying taxes when area resembled themselves and thus schools were full of same. This and or maybe kids from other family members, co-workers or whatever attended local schools.

When areas changed and or school systems did then you started to hear different stories. It's like Catholic schools, local parishioners didn't mind ponying up long as student body reflected original parish. But once schools had tons of minority and or non Catholics support began to wane.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:45 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Albany has all sorts cooking that will likely destroy or bust various aspects of local housing markets, in particular suburbs.

Just wait until "just cause eviction" is passed with budget in April.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:27 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know....

When areas changed and or school systems did then you started to hear different stories. It's like Catholic schools, local parishioners didn't mind ponying up long as student body reflected original parish. But once schools had tons of minority and or non Catholics, support began to wane.
I don't know how accurate that scenario is. Both my wife and I came up through the Catholic school system, so we're pretty familiar with it. To my observation, the population in general changed, old Catholica died off, and in many cases, their children weren't as religious. Most Catholic churches had a school attached to them, and as attendance dropped, so did the support for the schools.

Secondly, as religious vocations dropped drastically, there were far fewer women joining the convent, and becoming nuns, who in turn would staff the schools. This had two effects. To stay open, they had to come up with a lot of money to pay regular staff members, and raise tuition accordingly, or they simply closed up. And in many cases, the churches themselves, also dissolved, again, due to dropping attendance.....

One thing that is seldom understood, however, is that the Catholic school system, in it's "heyday", took a serious load off of the public school system. The grade school that my wife and I attended, would be considered a "neighborhood school", and it's enrollment was 800 students (8 classes of 100 students)....for a number of years. That's 800 students that the public school system didn't have to absorb.

In high school, I went to an all-boys high school, and my wife attended one of the all girls school. Both were Catholic schools, but not considered "neighborhood schools", however. They both had an enrollment of 800 students (4 classes of 200 each). Again, a significant load off the area public schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Albany has all sorts cooking that will likely destroy or bust various aspects of local housing markets, in particular suburbs.

Just wait until "just cause eviction" is passed with budget in April.
What are they actually going to? I live off of a main road, on what was an odd shaped piece of former agricultural land. A builder was able to buy it, then chop it up into several 1/2 acre lots, and build a handful of houses. Is Ms. Hochul going to come in, condemn all of our homes, evict us, and build one rather large apartment building???

Old 02-23-2023, 05:53 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,543,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
But no one is paying more here. It was vacant land paying like 5k a year and now it’s paying about 1.357m between all the units with zero kids in the schools. They have private roads and garbage so the township isn’t responsible for anything.
When all these homes were added, no one else's taxes went down, did they? No matter how you look at it, some houses are paying at a lower rate than others. Taxes are not spread evenly. My household and your household are both 55+. For an arbitrary reason, one of us is paying less than the other, yet we have the same impact on resources.

My neighbor has 12 kids. He moves and sells to a retired couple with no kids. The school tax didn't go down.

Worse.. what about the people who pay to send their kids to private school? They pay the same public school tax on top of the private school fee. Yet, someone in that protected community pays much less because the builder donated to the right political campaign.

Yes, vacant land was paying less. Is is odd that when that $5 tax became $1.375M that everyone's school tax bill still went up. That aside, who's to say that building a non-protected development on that land wouldn't have the same increase in tax base? It would definitely add more to the school tax base. And if that non-protected development paid at the same tax rate, everyone in the district would (should) see a tax benefit.

If it so beneficial for the developer, they wouldn't need the tax break. There's absolutely no one stopping a developer from building on vacant land. Real estate on LI is at such a premium, I find it hard to believe there is a block of land that could support a large development where a massive tax-break is needed for a developer to consider building. All these tax-break schemes are nothing more than political pay-back to large donors.

Roads/Garbage are irrelevant. We are talking school taxes, which have nothing to do with that. Either way, the residents are still paying for those services. Definitely paying for them privately, and possibly also paying for them at some level through property tax.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:22 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I don't know how accurate that scenario is. Both my wife and I came up through the Catholic school system, so we're pretty familiar with it. To my observation, the population in general changed, old Catholica died off, and in many cases, their children weren't as religious. Most Catholic churches had a school attached to them, and as attendance dropped, so did the support for the schools.

Secondly, as religious vocations dropped drastically, there were far fewer women joining the convent, and becoming nuns, who in turn would staff the schools. This had two effects. To stay open, they had to come up with a lot of money to pay regular staff members, and raise tuition accordingly, or they simply closed up. And in many cases, the churches themselves, also dissolved, again, due to dropping attendance.....

One thing that is seldom understood, however, is that the Catholic school system, in it's "heyday", took a serious load off of the public school system. The grade school that my wife and I attended, would be considered a "neighborhood school", and it's enrollment was 800 students (8 classes of 100 students)....for a number of years. That's 800 students that the public school system didn't have to absorb.

In high school, I went to an all-boys high school, and my wife attended one of the all girls school. Both were Catholic schools, but not considered "neighborhood schools", however. They both had an enrollment of 800 students (4 classes of 200 each). Again, a significant load of the area public schools. SNIPPED.
Thank you - you saved me a lot of time typing. 12 years of Catholic education for me and you nailed it. I will add the grammar school I went to now has a waiting list and tuition was just shy of 5K in 21-22. I am not sure if there was an increase in 23-23 school year.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:18 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,711,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

In high school, I went to an all-boys high school, and my wife attended one of the all girls school. Both were Catholic schools, but not considered "neighborhood schools", however. They both had an enrollment of 800 students (4 classes of 200 each). Again, a significant load off the area public schools.

What are they actually going to? I live off of a main road, on what was an odd shaped piece of former agricultural land. A builder was able to buy it, then chop it up into several 1/2 acre lots, and build a handful of houses. Is Ms. Hochul going to come in, condemn all of our homes, evict us, and build one rather large apartment building???
You never know what Cruella will do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island