Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2023, 07:04 AM
exm

3,735 posts, read 1,792,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am about as non political as one can be .

i have to say , in my 70 years on this planet if i was never told what party was in power, i wouldn’t know anything changed .

every day i got up , went to work and ultimately was responsible for everything in my life good or bad .

the only time a political party in washington effected my life was back in the 1970s when i got drafted .

other then that if you never told me another party was in power i wouldn’t even know.

they all lie and they all suck

I agree life was kind of moving along until 5 years ago. First it was the pandemic and it's unnecessary measures that greatly impacted all of us. The talk about mandatory vaccinations for children (hell no), and now the cancel culture. You can't say anything bad about anyone who's considered a minority because you WILL get cancelled. And this is all on the Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 08:13 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,545,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I get what you’re saying, it will never work that way. The place I was referring to actually couldn’t sell at market rate. Even though it was private the town sets the price, they where like 390k in 2015 today the set price is around 510k

Consistency can never happen, as assessments are all over the place. One home is 17k the same home down the block is 14k. Every one should be taxed based on sq footage and lot size nothing more. Bedrooms bathrooms fire place etc shouldn’t matter. A pool maybe finished basement should see a marginal increase. The entire system is broken. I can say from experience it’s way better in Suffolk than Nassau. Suffolk works like that but it gets skewed because a sale price or good comps can lower assessed value by grieving. It’s way harder to win than it is in Nassau.
I completely agree. Never meant to suggest that it would actually work in any fair or logical manner. Simply that the tax breaks for [whatever group is in fashion today] are BS. You either have a level playing field, or the system - as you point out - is broken. Although I would lean more towards corruption, since the breaks are given out to the "right" people.

Taxes are better in Suffolk. The grieving system is not (in that it is much harder to win a grievance). Same house, same development, similar schools - Nassau is about 25-30% higher. Used to be a larger gap, but Suffolk has worked hard to catch up with a few years of 10-15% increases.

And yes, taxes should be based on some objective factor. I always saw these taxes as a penalty for improving your home. Make it nicer? More taxes! Let it deteriorate into a pile of crap? Lower taxes!

Old 02-28-2023, 03:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,242,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am about as non political as one can be .

i have to say , in my 70 years on this planet if i was never told what party was in power, i wouldn’t know anything changed .

every day i got up , went to work and ultimately was responsible for everything in my life good or bad .

the only time a political party in washington effected my life was back in the 1970s when i got drafted .

other then that if you never told me another party was in power i wouldn’t even know.

they all lie and they all suck
This.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:46 PM

20,151 posts, read 20,937,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Democrats hate America and middle class. They do and will do everything to destroy middle class.
Fight till the end so they don’t get their way.
They don’t want to destroy the middle class.
They want to keep them enslaved. The middle class is the bread and butter of this nation.
Keep the middle class “middle class”. That’s what keeps bank accounts full for the rich & shameless.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:27 AM

6,500 posts, read 3,185,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They don’t want to destroy the middle class.
They want to keep them enslaved. The middle class is the bread and butter of this nation.
Keep the middle class “middle class”. That’s what keeps bank accounts full for the rich & shameless.
Good points.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:11 AM

132 posts, read 104,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Until they build a building for affordable housing next to you and school becomes overcrowded along with streets.
I busted my ass to move away from queens to get away from renters.

My town will fight this hard.
What town are you in ?

Old 03-07-2023, 05:06 AM

93,710 posts, read 124,432,072 times
A related video:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=p78du-puqJM&feature=share

Old 03-07-2023, 07:29 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,723,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cruella DeVille

Old 03-07-2023, 09:04 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,680,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That was a waste of 14 minutes. Not a specific item in the Hochul housing plan was scrutinized. Typical new journalism, lob a softball, let the interviewee speak their "truth" without any engagement.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:20 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,785,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Cruella DeVille
she's wearing a necklace that says "Vaxed". What a nut....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island