Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2023, 06:21 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I have no idea how this gets fixed.
It won't stand a snowball's chances in Hades of becoming law or whatever but....

Amend NYS constitution so bills cannot be signed into law for "X" amount of days after being published/released for public notice.

And or..

As with federal budget process amend NYS constitution, change laws or rules, whatever it takes to restrict budget to nothing but fiscal matters. If it doesn't have to do with money (such as rent control), then it wouldn't be allowed in budget.

Truth to tell NYS budget is an effing black hole that few in Albany or elsewhere truly understand. This allows NYS governors (who by NYS constitution are comparatively politically weak as opposed to other states), along with speakers of house and senate to get up to all sorts.

No one ever knows what the eff is in entire NYS budget until after it has been passed and signed. Then if or when stuff hits the fan everyone in Albany is "I wonder how that got in there?"

If there is enough public stink about something legislators are summoned back to Albany to fix, but don't bet the egg and money on that happening often if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 05:10 PM

427 posts, read 154,859 times
The US Congress does the same garbage, it's a problem with our system of government. Democracy (yes I know we're a Republic) means the elites can shove whatever they want down your throat and your only recourse is to vote for another elite who will act exactly the same way. This repeats until either the population is completely subjugated, IE, South Africa, or there's a revolution and their heads go rolling. Sadly I think modern society has made people too weak to choose the latter option.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:09 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Hochul, lawmakers at odds over the hammer in her housing plan

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...-laws-j4tfned7

What really struck me in this article is that even Stewart-Cousins the senate majority leader whose a hardcore leftist opposes this plan. The legislature just wants to bump up incentives to localities that build more housing not punish them.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:53 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
I don't see how a "one size fits all" plan, as Hochul's plan appears to be, can be even remotely feasible. Her "formula", when applied to the suburban town that I used to live in, calls for 200+ houses to be built there. It's a LONG ESTABLISHED town, which is for the most part, fully built out. How, EXACTLY, would you build that many more homes???

Old 03-26-2023, 10:57 AM

427 posts, read 154,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I don't see how a "one size fits all" plan, as Hochul's plan appears to be, can be even remotely feasible. Her "formula", when applied to the suburban town that I used to live in, calls for 200+ houses to be built there. It's a LONG ESTABLISHED town, which is for the most part, fully built out. How, EXACTLY, would you build that many more homes???
I believe I said this earlier in the thread but look at what happened with Westchester when they did it there. House on sleepy suburban street gets sold to an LLC, and they throw up an apartment building in its place. Not zoned for that? No worries. Not enough utilities for an apartment building? Tough sugar.

These people are ruthless and won’t stop until they are eliminated.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
I believe I said this earlier in the thread but look at what happened with Westchester when they did it there. House on sleepy suburban street gets sold to an LLC, and they throw up an apartment building in its place. Not zoned for that? No worries. Not enough utilities for an apartment building? Tough sugar.

These people are ruthless and won’t stop until they are eliminated.
Right now it dosent look like she even has close to the votes. But who knows.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Right now it dosent look like she even has close to the votes. But who knows.
Yeahbut that gas appliance ban seems to be a done deal.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If she bans gas, I'm going to start a youtube and tiktok channel. Cooking, heating and polluting w/ GX. I will make meals using my gas stove, heat my house using both gas furnaces and rev my straight piped car. New videos weekly on why gas is the best fuel in your home.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's only on new residential homes. New restaurants many commercial buildings etc are exempt.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...s-ban-00088648

Old 03-26-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
It's only on new residential homes. New restaurants many commercial buildings etc are exempt.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...s-ban-00088648
In most areas of this state gas clothes dryers are cheaper to run then electric. Housewives or households in future are going to be saddled with great expense when forced to use an electric clothes dryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island