Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2023, 05:02 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In most areas of this state gas clothes dryers are cheaper to run then electric. Housewives or households in future are going to be saddled with great expense when forced to use an electric clothes dryer.
Agree 100% but as of now only new homes are effected. And honestly even if they “ban” all gas appliances eventually, there will always be a way to get around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 06:26 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
I believe I said this earlier in the thread but look at what happened with Westchester when they did it there. House on sleepy suburban street gets sold to an LLC, and they throw up an apartment building in its place. Not zoned for that? No worries. Not enough utilities for an apartment building? Tough sugar.

These people are ruthless and won’t stop until they are eliminated.
That, the highlighted, I can agree with. If what you suggest becomes reality, I can see it now.....I currently live on a 7 house cul-de-sac that was built 32 years ago. Total land involved, probably adds up to 4.5-5 acres. State government finds some loophole to force we current residents out, tears down our 7 homes and puts up a complex with 200, 3 bedroom apartments...........

Old 03-27-2023, 08:15 AM

544 posts, read 940,920 times
Quote:
It won't stand a snowball's chances in Hades of becoming law or whatever but....

Amend NYS constitution so bills cannot be signed into law for "X" amount of days after being published/released for public notice.

And or..

As with federal budget process amend NYS constitution, change laws or rules, whatever it takes to restrict budget to nothing but fiscal matters. If it doesn't have to do with money (such as rent control), then it wouldn't be allowed in budget.

Truth to tell NYS budget is an effing black hole that few in Albany or elsewhere truly understand. This allows NYS governors (who by NYS constitution are comparatively politically weak as opposed to other states), along with speakers of house and senate to get up to all sorts.

No one ever knows what the eff is in entire NYS budget until after it has been passed and signed. Then if or when stuff hits the fan everyone in Albany is "I wonder how that got in there?"

If there is enough public stink about something legislators are summoned back to Albany to fix, but don't bet the egg and money on that happening often if ever.
We had a shot at a NYS Constitutional Convention. Certain groups came out in numbers to oppose it.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:21 AM

544 posts, read 940,920 times
Quote:
In most areas of this state gas clothes dryers are cheaper to run then electric. Housewives or households in future are going to be saddled with great expense when forced to use an electric clothes dryer.
Or they will be breaking laws putting up clothes lines in the backyard.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:52 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That, the highlighted, I can agree with. If what you suggest becomes reality, I can see it now.....I currently live on a 7 house cul-de-sac that was built 32 years ago. Total land involved, probably adds up to 4.5-5 acres. State government finds some loophole to force we current residents out, tears down our 7 homes and puts up a complex with 200, 3 bedroom apartments...........
The state itself isn't going to do anything nor does this proposal have anything to do with the state seizing land. That's not gonna happen. What COULD happen is a private company could come through, offer money above market value for those 7 houses, then attempt to build multifamily housing there. Once the locals oppose it, it would go to Hocul's "state board" which will be stacked with activists that will rubber stamp it and override local control.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:45 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,222,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
We had a shot at a NYS Constitutional Convention. Certain groups came out in numbers to oppose it.
Yep every ten years we get a chance, and that certain group gets the "Vote No" message out. Even have those stupid magnetic decals for their cars.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:17 AM

427 posts, read 155,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Yep every ten years we get a chance, and that certain group gets the "Vote No" message out. Even have those stupid magnetic decals for their cars.
Meh, I don't have any faith that it would make things better. Probably be worse. We just don't have the numbers in this state. It'll get worse and worse as these people are determined to make us the next California with lousy weather.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:19 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,222,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Meh, I don't have any faith that it would make things better. Probably be worse. We just don't have the numbers in this state. It'll get worse and worse as these people are determined to make us the next California with lousy weather.
Agreed, I wouldn't trust this crop of politicians to do anything competent when it comes to the State Constitution.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:34 PM

186 posts, read 67,680 times
Relevant:
https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...ochul-sdngoo5j

Quote:
The Siena College Research Institute poll said 90% of voters polled believe affordable housing is a serious concern statewide. That compares with 92% who said crime was a serious problem.

The poll also found 83% of voters said affordable housing is a serious problem in their community. By comparison, 63% of voters said crime was a serious problem in their community.

“By a narrow 45-37% plurality, voters support mandates on municipalities to increase their housing supplies, including majority support from Democrats and plurality support from independents,” said Siena pollster Steven Greenberg. “By a larger 54-32% margin, voters support providing incentives to municipalities for increasing their housing supply."

When asked to weigh one approach against the other, 48% supported incentives compared with 15% who prefer mandates and 15% who want both approaches.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:35 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,783,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Agree 100% but as of now only new homes are effected. And honestly even if they “ban” all gas appliances eventually, there will always be a way to get around it.

I'm curious if home owners like myself with a gas stove, have the stove break down 5 years down the road. Can it be replaced? Will the price go up?

What an unnecessarily disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island