Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2023, 06:33 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
I've heard the same excuses from California; oh, the homeless problem is about the lack of affordable housing, not the fact that the government specifically incentivizes homeless people to move there en mass and live in open-air drug scenes on the street. The "housing shortage" in New York is because of those pesky (and racist) suburbanites, nothing to do with the government allowing in tens of millions of new immigrants over the last few decades to compete with the local population. Certainly nothing to do with much of the new residential construction in the city being basically investments for the ultra rich to park their money, resulting in high vacancy rates for overpriced mega-condos.

Local control is something that the authoritarians have been fighting for decades. They would like nothing more than to rule everything from Washington DC, with a completely Federalized police force and no local control over anything - least of all zoning. That the opinions of local residents are still respected at all - and worse, given legal countenance - is vexing to these commissars.

I take particular exception to any government policy that directly benefits real estate developers, who are among the worst offenders when it comes to "pay to play" politics.
What was the excuse back in the early 1900s?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 08:06 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Might as well forget about the whole thing. Everyone is leaving so in a few years we’ll have plenty of housing available.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:39 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Might as well forget about the whole thing. Everyone is leaving so in a few years we’ll have plenty of housing available.
but I thought it's too crowded?

"everyone" has been leaving since the 80s. And when they sell someone buys.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:01 AM

186 posts, read 67,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This isn't really true though. If you look at active listings on LI, they are less than half what they were prior to the pandemic.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ACTLISCOU36059
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ACTLISCOU36103

A lot of people here are choosing to stay put now instead of relocating to cheaper areas.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:30 AM

427 posts, read 155,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What was the excuse back in the early 1900s?
I'm sorry, can you please formulate an coherent question?

Old 03-29-2023, 01:02 PM

7,938 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
This isn't really true though. If you look at active listings on LI, they are less than half what they were prior to the pandemic.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ACTLISCOU36059
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ACTLISCOU36103

A lot of people here are choosing to stay put now instead of relocating to cheaper areas.
Because the cheaper areas arent as cheap as they used to be. You used to be able to sell a LI house and move to a good area and have a good chunk of change left over. Not it is more of a lateral move financially.

Florida has had a huge run up in price, coupled with proposed big jumps in property insurance in June, and change in condo association dues by next year and it isnt as affordable as it used to be .

Old 03-29-2023, 01:52 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Because the cheaper areas arent as cheap as they used to be. You used to be able to sell a LI house and move to a good area and have a good chunk of change left over. Not it is more of a lateral move financially.

Florida has had a huge run up in price, coupled with proposed big jumps in property insurance in June, and change in condo association dues by next year and it isnt as affordable as it used to be .
Neither are other "desirable" aka areas with jobs in the south that used to be cheap, like parts of NC, Nashville area, parts of VA, Dallas/Austin/Houston etc. You save money (in some areas more than others) on property taxes but even in for example parts of Florida those aren't as cheap as you might think anymore either.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Florida is only cheaper now if you can make your NY salary down there. For retired people it’s 100% cheaper you are probably downsizing the house and no state tax on investment income is a big deal.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:53 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
but I thought it's too crowded?

"everyone" has been leaving since the 80s. And when they sell someone buys.
Sarcasm.
And don’t roll your eyes at me or I’ll send you to your room for the week.
Actually wait, don’t forget NY is experiencing a net loss, so they ain’t all coming and going at the same rate anymore. So I might be right after all even though I was just being a smartass in the previous reply.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:54 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, can you please formulate an coherent question?
The people in the pic sure looked like they needed affordable housing. What was the excuse in the 1900s? Fentanyl?

Quote:
I've heard the same excuses from California; oh, the homeless problem is about the lack of affordable housing, not the fact that the government specifically incentivizes homeless people to move there en mass and live in open-air drug scenes on the street.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 03-29-2023 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island