Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 10:35 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times

Advertisements

None of this is going to happen, first off we have no land, moodys and a few others did a study last year in office to residential conversions and it’s not fiscally possible w/o a huge reduction of the sale of a building. Plus they show it’s over $200 sq ft to convert and that’s assuming the building is a perfect fit(study shows it never is and it’s best suited for buildings under 14k sq ft)

Hochul is just flapping her Botox lips, economically this can’t be done due to lack of land and high prices of land and building costs. If they try and force things people don’t want, lawsuits will happen and it will be tied up in court for a decade.

A guy purchased a old 1100 sq ft home in my neighborhood on a 135x115 lot zoned r5. In theory zoning allows 3 homes, town said no it’s out of character of neighborhood. Then board of health said no chance, the lot can have 2 homes but septic has to be here and they where limited to 2300 sq ft. The investor gave up and built one 4400 sq ft home. Hochul could of “forced” 3 homes but then board of health would of overrode the state with environmental concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 10:35 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
I love it. I hope she hits every single white part of LI and destroys it with multi family homes full of young black/hispanic criminal types along with masses and masses of illegal central americans. Ya'll kept voting for demorats...ya'll gonna get demorat's ways. Ain't gonna be no more white only areas in NYC and LI once they done with ya'll.

As for me? I'll be down in Florida watching from my TV and computer. And if that don't work? I'll be watching from my house in Ireland. Toodalou!!!
Ohhh yea, Florida SWAMP land filled with CRIME! They ALL come back! They all try to recreate Long Island in Florida.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:39 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ahhh ok it’s the condition of the tax credits gotcha. Thank you.

I know there are plenty of complexes that have this though. You usually have to win a low income housing "lottery" to get a set aside rent controlled unit.
In Dix hills till brothers is building a 30 since family home sub division. No affordable because they aren’t getting any tax breaks. Starting price 2.264m. Same as manhasset but prices start at 3m there.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Do they think the reason for people leaving NY is just due to housing? Job opportunities, lower taxes, less onerous rules are the main reasons people are leaving the state.

So NY will force multifamily "affordable" housing which will basically become defacto housing projects.

I guess we can clear the hotels of the Venezuelan refugees then.
One leaves, two more come to Long Island. I never saw so many condos, apartment complexes, senior complexes and so much TRAFFIC in my life! As they continue to build more! Supply & demand!

Old 01-12-2023, 10:52 AM

Definition of “affordable”? $3000-$4000++++++ for a two bedroom in a nice apartment complex. So, “affordable” $2500?

Old 01-12-2023, 11:50 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Definition of “affordable”? $3000-$4000++++++ for a two bedroom in a nice apartment complex. So, “affordable” $2500?
Yep these crappy apartments (clones of which you could rent for half of that price down south) all cost a fortune, many are in bad school districts too. I always wonder who in their right mind is renting them since for 3000+ a month you can afford a decent mortgage.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
None of this is going to happen, first off we have no land, moodys and a few others did a study last year in office to residential conversions and it’s not fiscally possible w/o a huge reduction of the sale of a building. Plus they show it’s over $200 sq ft to convert and that’s assuming the building is a perfect fit(study shows it never is and it’s best suited for buildings under 14k sq ft)

Hochul is just flapping her Botox lips, economically this can’t be done due to lack of land and high prices of land and building costs. If they try and force things people don’t want, lawsuits will happen and it will be tied up in court for a decade.

A guy purchased a old 1100 sq ft home in my neighborhood on a 135x115 lot zoned r5. In theory zoning allows 3 homes, town said no it’s out of character of neighborhood. Then board of health said no chance, the lot can have 2 homes but septic has to be here and they where limited to 2300 sq ft. The investor gave up and built one 4400 sq ft home. Hochul could of “forced” 3 homes but then board of health would of overrode the state with environmental concerns.
Agreed, much of it a pipe dream to sell to her "woke" base. There are endless ways to roadblock, slow down, and stop development here. Like another poster said, simply offer no tax incentives, or raise rates on new multifamily construction is just one way. Tying up in litigation is another. This will simply not happen at any type of scale without support of the localities period, even Newsday of all places admits this.

Old 01-12-2023, 01:35 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind that the plan is to build such housing across the state, not just Long Island.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...d-build-800000

So, the article is actually misleading(probably on purpose).
Again, this is for the state, not just Long Island, as mentioned above.

A portion of the press release: "The New York Housing Compact, a comprehensive, multi-pronged strategy, includes local participation requirements and incentives to achieve housing growth in every community so that every part of the State is a partner in solving this urgent crisis."

Old 01-12-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, this is for the state, not just Long Island, as mentioned above.

A portion of the press release: "The New York Housing Compact, a comprehensive, multi-pronged strategy, includes local participation requirements and incentives to achieve housing growth in every community so that every part of the State is a partner in solving this urgent crisis."
Yes but the crazy required 3% growth rate ONLY applies to downstate including LI. Most of the state is only 1%. They just included that to look like they are being “fair”

Old 01-12-2023, 04:00 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
This is a movement which is spanning the Nation; there are commercial properties which might be redeveloped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island