Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:20 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times

Advertisements

Is the entire Island considered suburban, up to the forks which is rural?

Or is there an exurban area somewhere in between there? Where would that start, around the town of Brookhaven? Or would the town of Brookhaven still be considered a standard suburb of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 12:35 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
An argument can be made that some areas between Route 112 and William Floyd Pkwy can be a bit of a transition zone, though in general I would say you need to get east of the William Floyd before it is truly exurban.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:55 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Is the entire Island considered suburban, up to the forks which is rural?

Or is there an exurban area somewhere in between there? Where would that start, around the town of Brookhaven? Or would the town of Brookhaven still be considered a standard suburb of NYC?
I think William Floyd is a fair demarcation point.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:08 AM

914 posts, read 562,084 times
I'd say the Town of Brookhaven is suburban, with conservation land in its central sections east of the WFP, and that exurbia begins with Riverhead and Southampton towns and includes Southold and East Hampton towns, but their islands in Peconic Bay and the Sound and the Town of Shelter Island are just rural.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:30 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,936 times
Lol. LI rural. Haha. Good one.
LI hasn’t been rural in decades. I guess compared to Nassau County or Western Suffolk some could consider eastern LI rural, but the reality is, it’s on par with north shore Smithtown, Stony Brook, or even CSH or North Port, etc…A few leftover farms do not make an area rural. Huntington still has some farms, is Huntington rural? And with the covid migration, eastern LI is just as busy and congested as everywhere else now. I was born and raised on the north fork. When I was a kid, it was still rural. Backwoods redneck rural. Just because there are still a few more trees per square mile does not make it “rural”.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
^ Yeah I have to agree. Long Island is past being rural. The pine barrens are rural but that don’t count. If you could build there it would def be built up.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:52 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ Yeah I have to agree. Long Island is past being rural. The pine barrens are rural but that don’t count. If you could build there it would def be built up.
True.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:23 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I think William Floyd is a fair demarcation point.
Sounds about right. I'd say that once you hit exit 60 on the LIE, things get more sparse, and then once you hit William Floyd it gets even more sparse and exurban

Old 02-04-2023, 08:32 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,443 times
rural and exurban are two different things. Is there anywhere on LI that is rural (today)? Probably not. But is part of it exurban? Absolutely. Large sections out east are similar to areas in Orange/Dutchess county, for instance. Nassau and Western Suffolk are like Westchester and Rockland. (Limiting this is NY State areas).

Rural would describe areas of Sullivan and Greene County, etc, and of course, many other places further north.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
These are meaningless definitions without an actual population density to mark what the cut off would be. Without an actual agreement on what the statistical reference point is, it just ends up meaning whatever the person trying to make the specific argument that it justifies on the internet means. In other words, it's an idiotic waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island