Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2023, 03:53 PM

65 posts, read 70,891 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I see now that some LIRR train stations now require a parking permit to park from Mon to Fri, from 6 am to 5 pm.

I'm trying to see if there is a way around this? Cause I may just take the LIRR to the city during the week just one time a month to participate in some type of research.

Anyone got good advice or suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 04:53 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I think it really depends on the station. Google parking for the station you use and see what it says. Even better take a drive to the parking areas on a weekend and read the signs to see if they have daily parking rates.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisdan1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I see now that some LIRR train stations now require a parking permit to park from Mon to Fri, from 6 am to 5 pm.

I'm trying to see if there is a way around this? Cause I may just take the LIRR to the city during the week just one time a month to participate in some type of research.

What town are you in?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:18 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Yeah, it depends where you live or what station you're talking about.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
This would be a question for the municipality that controls each station parking lot. They aren't owned or operated by the LIRR. Many offer metered parking, non-permit parking in spots farther from the actual station platform, or daily permits.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:25 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Would help if you mention which LIRR station or town you are commuting from.

If daily pay parking isn't available then I would suggest parking on the side streets where public parking is allowed. Probably a 8-10 minute walk to the station if you do that. But then you get the dirty stares from the homeowners for parking in front of their house.

The TOB parking permit is $100 for 2 years.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:31 AM

65 posts, read 70,891 times
Yes. I realized that it would help to also mention what town I'm from. I'm from Copiague. However, if necessary, I'd be willing to drive to a different town and take the train from there if it's more park friendly and all. Thank you all for your replies thus far!

Old 04-07-2023, 01:43 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Yes. I realized that it would help to also mention what town I'm from. I'm from Copiague. However, if necessary, I'd be willing to drive to a different town and take the train from there if it's more park friendly and all. Thank you all for your replies thus far!
You can get a permit from the Town of Babylon for $65 if you are a resident, pay lots are also available which might make sense if it is just once a month, (doing a little google street view search does look like it fills up, though not sure how early)

https://www.townofbabylon.com/426/Parking-Permit-Office

Quote:
Permit Parking will be in effect, and enforced, Monday to Friday between 6AM and 5PM. Permits will not be required nor enforced after 5PM and on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays;

Vehicles without a Parking Permit may use the “Pay Lot” at the corner of Great Neck Road and Marconi Blvd ($3 per Day / Numbered Spaces Only). The meters will be in effect on Monday through Friday. The lot is Free / Unrestricted on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays;

Old 04-07-2023, 01:54 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Just Uber to the station if it’s only once a month.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:57 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
People still use trains? I thought everybody worked from home these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island