Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 3,381 times

Advertisements

I'm sure we've all come across someone who mentions Long Island using Google Earth to find illegal pools or structures in people's yards but has anyone ACTUALLY experienced this? If you Google it, the only article I come across is way back from 2010 when Riverhead was using satellites to find illegal pools but interesting enough, they stopped that practice due to privacy issues? Would love to know if anyone has firsthand experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 05:42 AM

1,262 posts, read 561,609 times
It's nearly impossible to use these photographs for prosecution as it would take a lot of legwork to have them verified to submit as evidence. Probably way more expensive than whatever fines or permit fees would be collected.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:15 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
It's nearly impossible to use these photographs for prosecution as it would take a lot of legwork to have them verified to submit as evidence. Probably way more expensive than whatever fines or permit fees would be collected.
I thought some towns were already using stuff like this to go after people?

Old 04-10-2023, 08:02 AM

They can try, but any pushback from the resident or demand for a trial would see this evidence being tossed as inadmissible. It would require a lot of verification from the companies using satellite imagery about dates, location, and the like. The cost and effort to obtain this would cancel out anything the municipality gains from the prosecution.

Some municipalities have tried drones, but their use is federally regulated and there's some murkiness involved because of flight patterns, private vs public airspace, existing code enforcement provisions, etc. For example, a code official can't use a ladder to look over your fence, but can make observation from a neighbor's second story window or elevated deck. That's the sort of case law that would be involved here.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I thought some towns were already using stuff like this to go after people?
Me too. I don’t have time to search right now but I could have sworn I read an article a few years ago saying Suffolk was using Google Earth for illegal pools, garages, extensions, etc.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Me too. I don’t have time to search right now but I could have sworn I read an article a few years ago saying Suffolk was using Google Earth for illegal pools, garages, extensions, etc.
Yeah I vaguely remember a thread about this, and rightfully so, some people were getting a little cuckoo over it, myself included. That’s like next level Big Brother Orwellian nonsense.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:10 AM

Municipalities definitely tried, here and elsewhere, but luckily some people got lawyers and fought back

Old 04-11-2023, 10:39 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Town of Huntington came to my dad's house YEARS ago and said we need to see your deck that isn't permitted (or words to that effect) - this is going back well over 20 years because they've been out of that house nearly 19 and it was long before that. My dad said no thanks. Of course when they sold the house they DID need to get it permitted. Will add, there's no way a neighbor turned them in, just didn't happen in those days and they were friendly with all the neighbors.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:01 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
So should everyone be allowed to build as they wish? If not, how do you prevent it from happening?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-11-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So should everyone be allowed to build as they wish? If not, how do you prevent it from happening?
Yes. It’s your land. Your house. Within reason of course.
It wouldn’t be cool to open a mini mart in the middle of a residential street or build a 6 story apartment building, but nickel and diming everyone for every little thing is some commie level BS.
Forcing people to file and pay fees for permits and other garbage nonsense and then taxing them on a stupid stoop, deck or shed or something is just totally ridiculous. Someone wants to ad an addition to their house, THEIR house, then they should be allowed to do it, no BS. Too much government overreach and control.
If you’re afraid of too much possible change then move somewhere with an hoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: