Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 09:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

That was my exact thoughts. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 12:37 AM

789 posts, read 486,798 times
My acct is great. I'm an independent contractor and he's saved me tons of money each year. Legit. Based in BK but I upload all of my docs to his site and just email the office and they do the rest. He's also filed for extensions for me in the past.

https://mentincpa.com/

Old 04-16-2023, 05:02 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You’re cutting it close. Maybe file for an extension, gives you more time to find the right firm instead of panic picking. You’re gonna need someone really sharp to do what it sounds like you want to do.
Extension only gives time to file paperwork; taxed owed (if any) is still due when it is due (18 April by midnight). If taxes are not paid on time IRS may assess penalties, fees and interest.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/exten...our-tax-return

Old 04-16-2023, 05:06 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
extensions are best when they owe you money and you are not able to file yet .

there is interest and possible penalty when you owe them

Old 04-16-2023, 05:08 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I dont want anyone shady. Just someone who knows what can be deducted that i am not aware of.
We have used TurboTax for years and usually find they are on the ball when it comes to deductions and credits. The last bit is what you want to find more of than latter as credits reduce taxes owed more than deductions.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:26 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i have used turbo for decades

but it has its own issues .

sometimes the questions are not easily understood .

i know somehow with myself and others that have posted there is an issue with capital loss carry overs being duplicated somehow .

it obviously has to do with the answers to some questions but none of us know exactly where we went wrong .

but we were tax savvy enough to pick up on it .

it also doesn’t help much with things you don’t know about . like not all k1 forms you get contain your personal cost basis ….just going line by line via the questions and filling in the boxes based on what you see can simply have you over stating the gains or income .

our k1s from our LLC partnership had the gains and losses of all the sales of the property

but what they never reflected is the money we paid to buy a share in the LLC itself and the legal fees involved .

lucky i realized that the initial buy in was never reflected in the.sales of the property so i had to take them when we closed the LLC .

IT NEVER occurred to the other partners that those k1s were strictly the gains and losses on the real estate but never reflected our personal costs since when you get a k1 you simply enter box by box but never see what those numbers actually consist of on that k1

so for the average tax payor with very little hitches turbo can be fine but as forms and questions get more complex you can miss some of the things you don’t know.

unfortunately we don’t know what we don’t know

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-16-2023 at 05:38 AM..

Old 04-16-2023, 11:40 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
My acct is great. I'm an independent contractor and he's saved me tons of money each year. Legit. Based in BK but I upload all of my docs to his site and just email the office and they do the rest. He's also filed for extensions for me in the past.

https://mentincpa.com/

Having a business is a completely different animal when it comes to taxes and write offs.
For a standard typical return there are not many other strings to pull other then what Turbo Tax has built in. The numbers are the numbers.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:35 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
I wound up speaking to my friends accountant at their suggestion. She wouldn’t do the return because she was too busy but gave me advice after I gave her some if our numbers. Since my wife was given a 1099 this year, that allows us to deduct her work mileage and expenses, use of a percentage of the house for an office, cell phone, computers, internet, etc. That brought things down quite a bit. We never include this stuff every year so we might as well start now. Didn’t think it would make that much of a difference. Plus, summer camp gets a deduction. I feel better. Thanks for the responses.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:23 AM

789 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Having a business is a completely different animal when it comes to taxes and write offs.
For a standard typical return there are not many other strings to pull other then what Turbo Tax has built in. The numbers are the numbers.
Yea, I guess. I really have no idea. I do gig work as a Doordash/Uber eats driver, so I write of most of my miles along with car expenses (repairs/gas). He also uses a profit/loss form. I think that's where most independent contractors go wrong trying to do their own taxes. They treat it as a W2 worker when really they are a profit/loss business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: