Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 PM

16 posts, read 64,113 times

Advertisements

If this violates the terms of service, please reply to me by PM

I need to file my tax returns for next year, but the thing is that it may involve filing with up to three states: PA, MD, and perhaps VA. I don't want to leave this until the last moment.

Can anyone recommend me how to find accountant services that can help me with that??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM

34,152 posts, read 83,198,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuquy View Post
I need to file my tax returns for next year, but the thing is that it may involve filing with up to
three states: PA, MD, and perhaps VA. ...Can anyone recommend me how to find accountant
services that can help me with that??
Aside from having multiple addresses and withholdings to recover, unless there is something really complicated about your financials such that you're able to do the FEDERAL return on your own, then
you should be able to do the several STATE returns as well.

Start by contacting the several states involved and asking for their forms and instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRS
Reciprocity with neighboring states
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRS

For employees who work in one state but live in another, a tax return must be filed in both states. To alleviate this double filing burden, many neighboring states have agreements not to tax salaries earned by each other's residents. This makes taxes easier to handle for commuters, as most commuters have no income earned in the other state except for salaries.

Generally, under these agreements, one state will not tax a resident of the other state on compensation that is subject to employer withholding. These agreements apply to most types of W-2 compensation earned while a resident of the reciprocal compensation agreement state.[3] For convenience, an employer may withhold taxes at the employee's resident state tax rate.[4]

Credit for taxes paid to another state

If you pay taxes to two states on the same income (because both consider you to be a resident, or because you are a resident of one but earned income in the other), the states allow a credit analogous to the foreign tax credit. The credit is usually the lesser of the amount you paid to the other state, or a prorated share of the tax you paid to the state where you took the credit.
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/State_income_taxes

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 PM

16 posts, read 64,113 times
Thanks, but I want to play it safe.

Anyone? Please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland