Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 42,179 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of NYC and continue to search for the right community to make us feel most at home now that we are leaving town. Commute to midtown, public shools, and vibrant young community are all important - our kids are 2 and 4. Our price point is about 1.5 mio give or take. We are down to So Westchester or Western Nassau. The Westchester Main Streets seem nicer (why does Plandome Rd feel a bit like Queens to me?), but the pricing/taxes look a little better in Nassau. Also, my wife is a runner and would want a comfortable daily route from the house, either on safe streets or into a park. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep123 View Post
We are moving out of NYC and continue to search for the right community to make us feel most at home now that we are leaving town. Commute to midtown, public shools, and vibrant young community are all important - our kids are 2 and 4. Our price point is about 1.5 mio give or take. We are down to So Westchester or Western Nassau. The Westchester Main Streets seem nicer (why does Plandome Rd feel a bit like Queens to me?), but the pricing/taxes look a little better in Nassau. Also, my wife is a runner and would want a comfortable daily route from the house, either on safe streets or into a park. Thank you.
Have you checked out Long Beach?

That'd be my pick.

crooks

Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM

127 posts, read 613,545 times
If running is a priority for your wife, Garden City is tops. Level, wide streets and sidewalks everywhere. That's why we chose it.

good luck

Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
Long Beach fails on commute and schools, I'd say. Also, the lots are tiny, and at that price, he's going to want a yard.

Manhasset has a slightly better commute than GC, but with those two, it's really which one you like. Ditto Nassau vs sound towns. You've picked pricey areas, so they're not going to skew that young.

I wouldn't say Plandome Road feels like Queens. A bit of Northern Boulevard does, though.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Hubby is currently working in Larchmont. He can't believe it's so close to NYC. He has raved about the location, the appearance, the parks, the proximity to the water.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Manhasset has a slightly better commute than GC, but with those two, it's really which one you like. Ditto Nassau vs sound towns. You've picked pricey areas, so they're not going to skew that young.

I wouldn't say Plandome Road feels like Queens. A bit of Northern Boulevard does, though.

Port Washington line is far better than GC, it not even close. I would even say the best on LI to Penn Station. Also the parking situation is far better than GC.

Young is relative as well, there are not a lot of singles in the area but there are a nice handful of young children in the area. There are two elementary schools (Munsey & Shelter Rock). I have one child age 2 and one more on the way. We made many friends with younger familes as well. In the past few yrs, I do notice more professionals moving in and the blue collar familes decreasing.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
What about the Great Neck area?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 23,763 times
Manhasset is a great town. They have a newcomers club and a Manhasset Mothers group so that it's easy to get to know people. The park on Plandome Road is filled with young kids on nice days. The schools are great and although it's an affluent town, it's pretty down to earth. Although I don't know Garden City as well, I've heard good things. GC is also beautiful and conveniently located near the Roosevelt Field Mall. However shopping around Manhasset couldn't be easier either. Great Neck has a different feel than Manhasset and GC. I think Great Neck and Roslyn are more similar to each other. Port Washington is a cute town too. There are many restaurants and shops. There is a Town pool in PW so if you choose Manhasset you can frequent PW from time to time. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island