Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2024, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

Hi, I get letter from Town of Hempstead and I have to get DCV (Double Checked Valve) or PVB (Pressure Vacuum Breaker) done.

I tried to make a few calls today, all contractors want me to pay visit fee upfront prior to give me estimates. I totally understand but there is one contractor (will commute from city to Long Island) gives me $2,500, none-negotiable price to install DCV, without coming to see my house yet. He says he might need to break concrete to put them in, and will charge me more to get test passed?

Just to be curious how much I should pay to install DCV or PVB? I thought it is easy project (tutorial from YouTube) and all they need to do is putting the Valve/Breaker on the top of water meter? My water meter is outside, above ground. Main Valve is in basement, has pipe extended to ground.

If it is a charging an arm and a leg project, should not the contractor come to house for free, or $2,500 is too small today to attract contractor to come?

I really hope it is $600 project, is it possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 06:36 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Are you calling plumbers or contractors ? A few plumbing companies I used gave me free quotes for work. They usually charge for emergency calls and apply the charge to your bill if you use them. But for actual upgrades it’s usually free in my experience.

I had my double check valve Installed after my water main from the street and before my main valve in the basement I paid 250 as an up charge when getting my sprinklers done.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 04-01-2024 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Are you calling plumbers or contractors ? A few plumbing companies I used gave me free quotes for work. They usually charge for emergency calls and apply the charge to your bill if you use them. But for actual upgrades it’s usually free in my experience.
Hi, I called whatever Google proposed? I get both contractors and plumbers and they all refuse to get me a quote. Do you have any plumbers recommended? Thanks !

Old 04-01-2024, 07:12 PM

I sent you a pm of who I used. Like I said I have no affiliation with them. How did the town know/why did the town say you need to install one?

It’d be nice to get a estimate from a company to see what your looking at and explain what is going on. Not saying to use them but maybe roto rooter? They give free estimate for everything I think. At least you get someone in the door to have an idea of the price ? I’m not saying to use them at all.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:01 PM

Thanks a lot! Town comes to replace new meter and then send me letter to install it.

I will make a few calls again tomorrow, include the one you suggested and roto rooster.Usually I sign contract at same day with first visitor, as long as the price not too much outrage compared to market price. I just feel so shock today, all guys I called all want money paid upfront, and they all don’t even want to spend 30 sec to let me explain what I need.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:29 PM

Thinking outside the box your local Sprinkler company might install them as well if you have one you trust. Good luck. Keep us updated how it goes tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:55 PM

Thanks! A plumber volunteered to come to our home, free visit. I pay him over 1.2K after initial inspection. He takes less than 1 hour to get work done. No permit necessary.

I believe price can be bargain down to $600~800, but we are so appreciated for his visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island